Confusion regarding type of app required

Description
We want to setup Zoom meeting between two user. We think we will need OAuth for the user who needs to create Zoom meeting. Once Users confirms his Zoom account, we will create meeting on behalf of this user. And will share link with both the users.
As of now, we are using free developer account

We thought that we will need private app for this as this need not be available on Zoom marketplace.

But, it seems that our understanding is wrong.

Please confirm if we need Public/Private app?

Error
You can not authorize MiCafila Zoom app. Unable to install this app without developer accoount
Which App Type (OAuth)? OAUTH
Knowing the endpoint/s can help us to identify your issue faster. Please link the ones you need help/have a question with.
Which Endpoint/s?
Our site micafila.com
https://mcfapi01.azurewebsites.net/api/meeting/Zoom/callback

How To Reproduce (If applicable)
Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Login/sign up onto site
  2. Goto User Menu, preference and then say link Zoom account

Screenshots (If applicable)
If applicable, add screenshots to help explain your problem.

Additional context
Add any other context about the problem here.

@MaxM
Knowing you answered some of my queries from other account, tagging you here.
Kindly help to answer this basic question

Hi @devmicafila,

Will you be creating meetings on behalf of users who belong to the same account as your app, or will you want to authorize users external to your account, so that you can schedule meetings for them too?

If it’s the former, this can be done with a private app. But if it’s the latter, you will need to use a public OAuth App.

Let me know if this helps to clarify,
Will

Thanks Will,
ours ia latter case, we will change our app from Private to Public OAuth

Got it, glad I could help clarify :slight_smile:

@will.zoom Will, we have changed our app to Public OAuth now. While trying to submit app, it’s asking us to key in * Endpoint URL (Deauthorization Notification)]*

Signed up user on our site will connect to her Zoom account using OAuth. Once OAuth is complete successfully with Zoom, we will create meeting on behlaf of this user and will share meeting link with her and the requesting user. If user is not interested in using this feature, we allow user to unlink her Zoom account.

In that regard, why would we need deauthorization url?

This has confused me more, why would user have to Install this as app? Can you clarify please?

Also, as I explained you what we are doing, what should be right flow of the user action? Could you please explain? This lack of knowledge (on our side) is stopping us from launching this functionality, restricting user to use Zoom

Hi @devmicafila,

The intention of providing this endpoint URL is so that you can receive notifications when a user uninstalls your app/deauthorizes is:

This helps you to keep track of when users uninstall.

Let me know if this helps to clarify,
Will

I am okay if I dont get notification.But, We will follow what your document says

Please answer my below question , it is quite important for us to understand what happens when we “install” app.
When you say user has to install this as App, what happens with that? Doest installation of app mean user using OAuth to connect with her Zoom account? Or installation mean Zoom gets installed on user’s PC or mobile? Then when will he

In our thread, I mentioned what we were doing with Private App, now, with Public app, is workflow going to be same?

@will.zoom I would appreciate if you can find time to provide detailed answer. I have explained at the start of the thread what we are trying to do. Please refer that while answering

Hi @devmicafila,

When you “install” an OAuth App, you’re authorizing the integration so that you can retrieve a code to initiate your OAuth flow. The order of events is as follows:

1. Authorize (“install”) your OAuth app
  2. Get redirected to your Redirect URL, to which a code is appended in the browser
  3. Retrieve the code from the browser URL
  4. Exchange the code for an access_token by calling our /oauth endpoint
  5. Use access_token to authorize requests to our API

This flow is the same for public or private OAuth Apps.

Let me know if this helps to clarify!
Will

@will.zoom Thanks Will, we have made these changes and now waiting to submit app.

I’m glad to hear that Will was able to help!

Max

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.