Create Zoom phone user for Zoom Account User

Using this template helps us debug your issues more effectively :slight_smile:

Description
A user created through the API using post => /users does not have a associated zoom phone user id and there is no way to create one. This makes it impossible to assign a phone plan, phone number, or extension to a user created via the API without manual steps.

Which App Type (OAuth / Chatbot / JWT / Webhook)?
JWT

Which Endpoint/s?

• /phone/users/{userId}
  • /phone/users/{userId}/calling_plans
  • /phone/users/{userId}/phone_numbers
1 Like

Hi @dscott,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

When you create a user, a user_id should be generated, which you should be able to pass in the request URL of the following endpoint to assign a number (if the user has a Zoom Phone license):
Assign a Phone Number to User

Are you running into an error when attempting this? Let me know!
Will

I donā€™t have a phone number to assign. I just want to set an extension. And besides accoring to the documentation, the user has to have a calling plan to assign a number, and I know for certain that that call ( /phone/users/{userId}/calling_plans ) doesn not work with a user id from a GET to /users/.

I hope it is ok if I chime in on this, i was about to ask the exact same question. The goal is to create a phone user for somebody who already has a Zoom Account. In the web frontend one would do this via ā€˜Phone System Managementā€™ ā†’ ā€˜Users & Roomsā€™ ā†’ Users ā†’ Add.

This creates a phone user that can be queried by the API edpoints dscott mentions. However I have not found any API call to let me do the adding. If the user does not already exist, all the other calls to /phone/users/<id>/... fail with

{
  "code": 1001,
  "message": "User does not exist: <id>."
}

So, how does one create a phone user for an existing Zoom user via the API?

I see, thank you for clarifying @dscott and @michael.elbel!

Iā€™m checking internally to see if we have an existing endpoint that supports creating a phone user specifically, so that you can assign numbers, etc programmatically without having to first do this manually in the UI. This may be something weā€™re in the process of developing, but I will follow up shortly!

Thanks,
Will

iā€™m looking for the same things. only like 7,000 user need this and using the CSV to do it 1000 at a time works the first time but not ongoing!

Thanks for the feedback @dscott! Iā€™m exploring this internally and hope to have an update shortly.

Best,
Will

@dscott @michael.elbel @dscott

After checking with an internal resource, I can confirm that it should be possible to handle this programmatically.

First, to create a Zoom Phone User, you can do so via our Update User Settings endpoint. You will send a PATCH request and pass the following body for a given User ID:

{
  "feature": {
    "zoom_phone": true
  }
}

This will apply a Zoom Phone license to the user, and you should then be able to take actions such as assigning a number, extension, etc.

We will work on making it clearer in our docs that youā€™ll need to leverage the Update User Settings endpoint to apply a Zoom Phone license.

Thanks for raising this, and let me know if you have further questions!

Best,
Will

1 Like

@will.zoom

I have just tried that and unfortunately the user afterwards does still not show up as a zoom phone user :thinking: Iā€™m pretty sure I follwed what you wrote. Hereā€™s the request I sent via the Web-Frontend at https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/api-reference/zoom-api/users/userupdate

PATCH https://api.zoom.us/v2/users/[valid ID]

Headers:
Authorization: Bearer
[ valid Token]
Content-Type: application/json

Body:
  {
  "feature": {
    "zoom_phone": true
  }
}

I received a 204 null back, so the request went through, however the user neither shows up at when I list the existing phone users nor can I assign a calling plan. That results in the same 404 as before.

Sorry
Michael

I did the patch to /users/{userId}/settings with the content
{
ā€œfeatureā€: {
ā€œzoom_phoneā€: true
}
}

and that succeeded. I then listed the phone users and was able to find the user id with a phone user ID having been created. I havenā€™t tried using that ID yet, but I am confident that it will work. Thanks for the solution!

Thanks for the success report, then it must have been something I did wrong, Iā€™ll try again :grin:

@will.zoom, @dscott

Right, typical ā€˜did not read properlyā€™ problem. I used the Update User Endpoint, not the Update User Settings :man_facepalming:

Using the proper Endpoint it works perfectly. Thank you @will.zoom for the quick help!

Aha! Thanks for confirming that it worked, @michael.elbel! :slight_smile:

Best,
Will

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.