Custom UI not working in Android SDK

Description
Hi, I’ve read the document about customize meeting UI. Here’s what I’ve done:

1. create MyMeetingActivity activity extends MeetingActivity
  2. Create config file with zm_config_conf_activity:
    com.app.zoom.MyMeetingActivity

Issue
MyMeetingActivity is being called (checked this by creating log in onCreate of MyMeetingActivity ) and there is a notification in the notification bar that Zoom Meeting is in progress, but the view I created is not showing up and the view elements are not being initialized. Even the life cycle events are not called of MyMeetingActivity. The log statement in getLayout() function was also not executed I tried using setContentView also but didn’t work. I tried replacing the view and activity with the view and activity used in example 2 of SDK, got an error in initializing views.

Many thanks for your support!

Which Android Meeting SDK version?
v5.7.1.1268

SCREENSHOTS

Following is the screenshot of my init block.

Following is the screenshot of my XML file.

Following is the screenshot of error

Hi @mehulvasa, thanks for using the dev forum.

If you are creating your own meeting UI from scratch, you should not extend MeetingActivity. This Activity is the one used by the default UI. The steps you’ve taken will cause the SDK to start an Activity containing the default UI, but it will use the instance defined in your app instead of one internal to the SDK.

For a custom meeting UI, you will need to enable it by following our documentation. Once enabled, you can display whatever UI you would like, as this setting prevents the SDK from starting its own Activities.

Thanks!

Thank you for your quick reply, hope you are doing well and safe. I just need to disable screen recording while in the meeting. Default UI will also work for me, but currently as mentioned above, the meeting is getting started but the view for the meeting is not visible, neither default UI nor custom UI. It just stays in the activity where I take Meeting params from users like meeting id and username etc. Alos, as per your answer, If I remove every code from my ZoomMeetingActivity except life cycle events (like onCreate, onPause, onResume, etc) it gives the following error and crashes the app.

Hi @mehulvasa,

I just need to disable screen recording while in the meeting

This does not require use of the SDK and can be done through your account settings.

the meeting is getting started but the view for the meeting is not visible, neither default UI nor custom UI

Did you enable custom UI mode through the SDK? If you did, then the SDK will not show any UI and you will be responsible for creating and displaying the meeting UI.

Alos, as per your answer, If I remove every code from my ZoomMeetingActivity except life cycle events (like onCreate, onPause, onResume, etc) it gives the following error and crashes the app.

It seems like something is going on with your MeetingActivity implementation. If you do not have any use for a custom implementation of the default UI’s Activity, try removing it from your project entirely.

Thanks!

Account Settings doesn’t disable screen recording in local devices. Even after disabling it from the account setting, I can still record the android device screens using third-party apps.

Following is the implementation of my join meeting function

My ZoomMainActivity, Extending MeetingActivity
Screenshot 2021-10-03 at 2.48.45 PM

My Config File

Error when I run this code.

As you can see in the last line, Main is getting printed which states that Activity is being called, but gets crashed. Also, If I follow the example2 in documentation, the following is the implementation

And I am getting the following error

Hi @mehulvasa,

Account Settings doesn’t disable screen recording in local devices. Even after disabling it from the account setting, I can still record the android device screens using third-party apps.

The ability to record your device’s screen is outside of the scope of what the SDK can be responsible for. The SDK can only manage screen recording as it relates to sharing the content of your screen with other participants in a meeting.

Regarding the errors you are seeing, it appears that there is something wrong within your implementation. As mentioned earlier, you cannot customize MeetingActivity. If you want to define your own Views within your meeting UI, you should use the custom UI feature defined by the SDK. Also, the second stack trace you have shared does not contain anything from our SDK, so that is an error that you would need to resolve within your project.

Thanks!

I understood what you are saying, but I can’t find any appropriate way to full fill my needs. According to you, if one needs to make custom ui, he needs to use set custom ui flag to true and build up the ui on its own. But according to the example 2 provided with SDK, it has a class MyMeetingActivity which extends MeetingActivity and has build up completely customised ui using this class, which is confusing me on my implementation. According to this thread, what i want can be achieved by extending Meeting Activity. But I am unable to find any appropriate documentation on this. It would be very helpful if you could provide any proper documentation or step by step guide on implementation of MeetingActivity.

Hi @mehulvasa,

Based on that thread you have linked to, it seems that you are trying to prevent the content of your meeting UI from being captured, which is not the same as recording the meeting.

Please note that you should not have custom UI enabled for this approach.

In order to accomplish what is mentioned in that thread, first we need to get your MeetingActivity instance working correctly. Since there are issues with your current implementation that I cannot see, I am going to ask that you completely remove the MeetinActivity implementation from your project (including in the manifest and config.xml). Once you have done this, try running your app to ensure that you can successfully start a meeting using the default UI.

After confirming that the default UI is working, you can create a class that extends MeetingActivity by following the steps outlined here. Do not create any layout files for this Activity. It will use the layout defined internally to the SDK. Run your app again and confirm that the default UI still appears as expected.

Once you have confirmed the above steps, you can follow the advice in the other thread.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.