Deep linking error

Description
When I attempt to use the Local Test option to install the dev version of my chatbot app, the authorization succeeds but when the Zoom client opens I get an error message saying “Failed to open chat”. The chat bot is not present in the client. I can then uninstall the app from the Local Test page again.

Error
Failed to open chat
Something went wrong, please try again.

Which App Type (OAuth / Chatbot / JWT / Webhook)?
The app is a chatbot.

Which Endpoint/s?
I am attempting to use the deep linking endpoint.
https://zoom.us/launch/chat?jid=robot_<jid_from_features_page>

How To Reproduce (If applicable)
Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. GET https://zoom.us/launch/chat?jid=robot_<jid_from_features_page>
  2. Zoom client opens and displays error

Thanks

Hey @grimsqueaker13, thanks for posting and using Zoom!

I have seen this error before. Is your redirect URL on the credentials page the Deep Link?

I am guessing that since the App Install is Async it is trying to link to the Chatbot before the Chatbot finishes installing on the Zoom Client.

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi, thanks for responding.
I don’t have the deep link URL directly in the App Credentials section. The URL I have there points to my Flask application which in turn redirects to the deep link URL.
I have confirmed that the URL matches what I expect wrt containing the correct JID value.
Does that perhaps indicate some other issue?

1 Like

Hey @grimsqueaker13, thanks for the details.

Does this also happen with the production install of your Chatbot?

Also what version of the Zoom App do you have installed? Check and see if it is updated to the latest version.

Thanks,
Tommy

I don’t have a production install yet as I am just testing.
The version I have is 4.6.4 (17409.0120). I downloaded and installed it today so it should be the latest version.
Would it help to have logs from Zoom? Apparently I would need to install a support package in order to create the logs?

Thanks

Hey @grimsqueaker13,

Thanks, are you on Windows?

-Tommy

Yes, I am using a Windows 7 VM. I tried the install on Ubuntu, but I got an error saying that the deep linking feature is not supported on Linux.

Thanks

Hey @grimsqueaker13,

I have also seen this on Mac. Let me get back to you. (ZOOM-136785)

Thanks,
Tommy

Thanks for looking into it. Let me know if I can provide more information.

1 Like

Happy to help!

I will keep you updated!

Thanks,
Tommy

Hey @grimsqueaker13,

We are working to fix this issue in one of our upcoming releases.

Thanks,
Tommy

Is there any way I can work around this and still create a Zoom chatbot?

1 Like

Hey @grimsqueaker13,

Yes! Just don’t use the Deep Link. I suggest adding a message on your redirect page that says something like “Open Zoom Chat to use the Chatbot”.

Thanks,
Tommy

I will give that a try, but I would have thought that the chatbot would have been installed despite the error? I don’t see it in my client after authorization.

I tried this out, but I don’t see the chatbot. Should it appear under “Apps”?

@tommy to be clear I don’t get any error now, I just don’t see the app in my client.

Hey @grimsqueaker13,

Yes the Chatbot should be installed in your Zoom Client.

Make sure you are logged into the Zoom Client with the same user as your user installing the app.

Thanks,
Tommy

I am definitely logged in with the same user, not sure what else I can check?

Hey @grimsqueaker13,

I noticed you have a Free Account, and Chat comes with a Pro or Above account. This may be the issue.

Can you request a free trial from isv@zoom.us mentioning you are developing a Chatbot. Once you are upgraded I believe this will work.

Thanks,
Tommy

I’ll give that a try, thanks. It might be a good idea for this to be mentioned somewhere in the tutorials and documentation if it turns out to be the cause.

1 Like