Documentation on getting raw audio is incomplete

After following the documentation on how to obtain the raw audio, nothing I tried worked. The onMixedAudioRawDataReceived and onOneWayAudioRawDataReceived are never fired.

After digging through the sample app, I found that this line of code is required during initialization:

ZoomInstantSDK.getInstance().getAudioHelper().subscribe()

However, the sample app does not actually execute this. The function subscribeAudio() isn’t used.

Please update your documentation to indicate that a call to this is required. This should be mentioned in these two locations:

https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/sdk/video/android/advanced/raw-data

https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/sdk/video/android/essential/callbacks

I also recommend that your sample app actually makes use of this to demonstrate that it really works.

While you’re at it, you should also indicate in the docs what the audio format is. I’ve seen one other post with someone asking about this and the staff response was “check Stackoverflow”. Seriously??

The following information is absolutely vital for anyone who needs to process the audio:

Encoding: Signed 16-Bit PCM
Byte order: Little endian
Channels: mono

The sample rate can be retrieved from the rawData parameter in onMixedAudioRawDataReceived and onOneWayAudioRawDataReceived: rawData.sampleRate

Typically this is 32,000 but it might vary depending on the bandwidth a Zoom server uses at the time of sending the data.

Hi @AndroidDev, thanks for bringing this up.

I absolutely agree that we can convey a bit more information in this section of our documentation. Our docs team is actually working on updating our raw audio data docs as we speak for an upcoming release, so I will pass this information along to them to ensure that it is included in the update.

We really appreciate your continued feedback! You are absolutely helping us with better understanding the needs of our SDK users, so thank you for continuing to voice your concerns. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.