Eos webcam utility causes MacOS SDK app crash

Hello

I think this may be a bug in the plugin but the a zoom SDK app crashes when the Canon eos webcam utility is instaled with what appears to be a memory leak. While I obviously don’t expect you to fix an external plugin it would be good to see if it would be possible to add in some sort of exception handling around the plugin loads

Crash report at Dropbox - log.txt - Simplify your life

Richard

Hi @richard1, thanks for the post.

Sorry to hear you are experiencing a crash. Can you please verify a couple of things before we can look into this:

• SDK version
  • macOS version
  • What is being done with the SDK leading up to the crash

Thanks!

Hello

They were using our current release which is one version of the SDK behind. Our application is crashing on launch before the UI has fully instatiated so I think it is probably around the point at which the SDK is initialised. It is definitely an issue with the eos webcam utility (from here Canon U.S.A., Inc. | EOS Webcam Utility ) as uninstalling that gets rid of the problem. I plan to do some tests with this myself today and will feed back if I get any more information

Hi @richard1, thanks for the additional info.

While you are testing, can you please let me know if you are seeing this on the Zoom client as well?

Also, which version(s) of macOS is this crash happening on?

We will need to investigate and see if the logs you have provided reveal any possible solutions for this within the SDK. I would also recommend reaching out to the manufacturer, since their site does explicitly mention Zoom support. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ll be sure to let you know as soon as we have an update.

Thanks!

Hello, I haven’t been able to replicate it myself but we’ve had two users with the same issue. I will keep the utility installed on my machine and see if I can get it to break…

Hi @richard1,

Alright, keep me posted. :slightly_smiling_face:

We will do our best to try to identify a fix with whatever information is available.

Thanks!

Hello

To add to this we’ve had a couple of other virtual webcams causing our app to crash - looking at the crash reports I don’t think it is anything in our code. I think it’s badly written virtual devices but the main Zoom client seems to handle this mor gracefully so I suspect that something somewhere needs to be wrapped in a try…catch block to avoid a hard crash

Some more crash reports are at Dropbox - zoomOSC virtual device crashes - Simplify your life - one of these seems to be a memory leak, while the other is just a process that appears to hang. Both users have been able to resolve this by upgrading or disabling the device in question and I haven’t been able to repeat my end even with the same virtual cameras installed

Thanks

Richard

Hi @richard1, thanks for the additional info.

It is good to know that these issues are not present in the Zoom client, but is happening with various virtual devices. This may help us narrow down possible areas in which we can more gracefully fail if these devices are doing something that doesn’t mesh will with the SDK.

Thanks!

@jon.zoom as the crash reports continue to roll in (we had a bunch more reports of crashing from camera devices today) is there a good place for us to send them in for review? Should we just keep the dropbox up to date?

Hi @liminal_andy,

Yes, keeping the reports all in one place should be fine. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks!