Event_ts and breakout rooms

Description

When we get meeting.participant_left and meeting.participant_joined webhooks for a given participant, we store the leave_time or join_time attribute to make sure we don’t process future webhooks out of order (if we receive a webhook that happened earlier than our stored time, we ignore it). Could we use event_ts for this instead? In other words, does sorting a series of webhooks by event_ts guarantee you the same ordering as if you were to sort them by join_time and leave_time?

The reason I ask is because when a participant joins a breakout room, we get a meeting.participant_left event and a meeting.participant_joined event with identical leave_time and join_time attributes, breaking our previous method. We noticed that the event_ts timestamps are different (and higher resolution), and in the few examples we’ve seen, the order is always correct (the event_ts for the leave event is before the event_ts of the join event). I want to know if this will always be the case.

Error
N/A

Which App Type (OAuth / Chatbot / JWT / Webhook)?
Webhook

Which Endpoint/s?
meeting.participant_left
meeting.participant_joined

How To Reproduce (If applicable)
Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Join a breakout room
  2. Observe the webhooks delivered

Hey @davidbalbert,

Thanks for reaching out about this, and good question.

I don’t see any issues with using the event_ts timestamp for this purpose. As you mentioned, this will reflect the exact timestamp of when the associated event occurred. If you’re trying to account for the same timestamps when participants leave a breakout room and rejoin a main meeting, I think this approach should work for you.

Thanks,
Will

Thanks so much @will.zoom. That’s very helpful.

No problem, glad I could help!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.