Factors impacting dimensions of converted Zoom recordings

Description
Using the same hardware and software setup to run multiple Zoom meetings, I end up with recordings of widely different dimensions, ranging from 640x360 to 2736x1824. I’m trying to figure out what factors impact the dimensions of Zoom converted videos. More details below. I became aware of the issue when –for no explicable reason– after a Zoom meeting the converted video produced by Zoom was 1920 x 2160: that’s a vertical frame (within which the 16:9 ratio was captured, with black bars on top and below).

Which version?
Current version is 5.4.2 (58740.1105) running on Catalina 10.15.7 but this has been going on for the past three months.

I always use the same settings:

• MacBook Pro 13.3 inch. (display 2560x1600)
  • This is hooked on a Dell 24 inch (1920 x 1200): the Dell is the main monitor where all apps are running, including Zoom.
  • Meetings are 1-2 hours long, and involve between 5-15 participants
  • I always record the speaker view only
  • I record locally: as soon as the meeting is over, Zoom starts the conversion and after a while I end up with an MP4 file. Examining that file gives me the exact dimensions of the recording.
  • Video preference set to HD
  • I record video during screen sharing
  • Webcam is a Logitech C922 (1080p)
  • If I run a test by myself, I consistently get 1280 x 720 video files
  • But over the course of the past weeks, using the same setting described above, I ended up with video of the following dimensions:

640 x 360;
1280 x 720;
1684 × 900;
1920 x 1200;
1920 x 2160;
2736 x 1824

I’m left wondering if the participants themselves do not impact the size of my recordings: i.e. maybe through screen sharing (sometimes the participants share their screen). Any help troubleshooting this would be appreciated.

Hi @theop, thanks for using the dev forum.

Can you please confirm that this is an issue specifically with the SDK and not the Zoom client?

Thanks!

It’s the Zoom client Jon, not the SDK. Sorry about the confusion.

Hi @theop,

No worries! For any help with the Zoom client, please see our general support page. This forum is only meant to assist developers who are integrating our SDK into their own applications.

Thanks!

Thank you very much Jon: will do!