Fetching the userid with no scopes but create:meeting

Description
So I tried to use as little scopes as necessary when creating my app. In the end, all I needed was to be able to create a meeting.

Error
Invalid access token, does not contain scopes: [user:write:admin, user:read:admin, user:read, user:write, user_profile]."} when calling the users/me or anything of the likes. The truth is: I don’t need name, email or anything at all. I just need the id so I can link it to the other config. That way, when a user deletes the integration in zoom and I get the deauth notice, I can remove the data on my end.

Which App Type (OAuth / Chatbot / JWT / Webhook)?
OAuth

Which Endpoint/s?
https://api.zoom.us/v2/users/me

How To Reproduce (If applicable)

1. Create an app with no scopes except maybe create:meeting. Nothing about user info at all.
  2. Try to fetch the resource owner details or the users/me endpoint

Additional context
I need this to be able to respond to a deauthorize call.

1 Like

Hey @marikittens,

Thank you for reaching out to the Zoom Developer Forum. When creating a meeting, you are creating a meeting for a user which is why you’ll see the need for user:write and therefore user:read privileges. Make sure that you’ve added those to your app and reauthorized before calling the Create a User API.

However, our deauthorization flow shouldn’t require those scopes. Are you able to provide more information on that?

Thanks,
Max

Hey Max,

Well, I don’t need it for the deauthorization, but at my webhook, I get an account id and a user id. So then I want to go look in my app database to see which data I have to remove. The only way to do that is to search on said user id and then delete those records. But today I’m missing all userids because my app was not able to fetch them.

So for all future users I want to fetch the user id and store it in the database when they authorize the application. I don’t need their name or anything, I don’t want to store any gdpr / privacy related data. So the user id is really all I need. If i can store that together with their oauth token, I’m good. Then I can delete the oauth token of the user once they deauth.

Hope that’s clear?

Creating a meeting works fine by the way. The app works as expected.

Hey @marikittens,

Thanks for clarifying! My mistake, I meant to link to the Create a User API earlier. Regardless, after your clarification, it seems that you are referring to using the Get a User API.

Unfortunately, we don’t have a method to fetch the user ID without having the user:read scope on your app and calling the Get a User API,

Thanks,
Max

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.