Gallery View in Zoom web SDK

Description
The gallery view option is not shown when joining Zoom meeting using web SDK, It used to be shown till yesterday Screenshot by Lightshot and today it does not show that View option. Now it only has one option for full screen Screenshot by Lightshot

Error
No errors

Which Web Client SDK version?
I was using v1.9.6 and I have also tested in v1.9.7 but I do not see a view option even if using sample app.

To Reproduce(If applicable)
Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Download sample App from here GitHub - zoom/sample-app-web: Zoom Web SDK Sample App and join the meeting to observe this issue.

Screenshots
This is how it’s showing now Screenshot by Lightshot
This is how it should show Screenshot by Lightshot

Device (please complete the following information):

• Browser: [Chrome]
  • Browser Version [Version 92.0.4515.107 (Official Build) (64-bit)]

Additional context
It was working fine till yesterday and today it does not work even using sample app code so I believe it might be because of some recent change on your end or browser specific. Let me know how should I solve this issue.

Hey @acceluser8866,

Please see the following forum post and let me know if that helps:

Thanks,
Max

@MaxM Thanks for sharing the above post. It seems things are broken in the latest version of chrome because Zoom SDK is using SharedArrayBuffers for some functionality and chrome has disabled it for security reasons correct? I also need some more info on the implementation, I can see that things are working fine in v1.8.6 and in v1.9.7 many things are broken for example view button for speaker/gallery view, UI has some unwanted space, blank video is shown to us even though it’s showing correct to other users in the meeting. is SharedArrayBuffers mandatory to achieve the functionality which you are providing on the web SDK? are you planning to change any implementation on your end in your future versions which do not use SharedArrayBuffers so that we do not need to make changes on our end? I can see two solutions, one is a temporary extension that works until the Chrome 94 release so not a reliable solution also we have multiple domains using the same code so it won’t be the best fit for us and the second is regarding implementing isolation, we use multiple third party features so am not sure if that is something we can implement without affecting any other functionality, I think it might break other things in our app so I need to know if this is something which can be fixed in latest release or the only option for us is to implement isolation in our website?

Thanks!

1 Like

@MaxM Can you please check the above questions?

Hey @acceluser8866,

Thank you for reaching out to the Zoom Developer Forum. I can definitely understand the frustration in having to adjust your app to our SDK. On our side, we’re doing our best to adjust to what is being done by Chrome.

I know that for the time being SharedArrayBuffers is the most efficient API that we have. It solves a lot of the issues present in 1.8.6 but also introduces new required configuration due to changes with Chrome.

We are working to make the SDK as easy as possible to implement but we also have to balance that with providing near-native performance where we can.

When it comes to Web Isolation, this can be a large change. When it comes to using multiple domains you would want to sign each domain up with the Origin Trials and be able to dynamically add these origin trial meta tags depending on the domain.

If you aren’t able to use isolation with 3rd party tools you can use the SharedArrayBuffers Origin Trial until Chrome announces their next move or we migrate to another API that provides similar performance and greater ease of use.

Thanks,
Max

So, This Origin Trails would just be a temporary fix until the zoom sdk gets updated / fixed?

@MaxM I do not want to use origin trails as it’s just a temporary fix and chrome will release version 94 in December so we will have lots of rework just within 4 months in order to use Zoom web SDK. you wrote above that ‘we migrate to another API that provides similar performance and greater ease of use’ Are you working on changing the implementation on your end which does not require SharedArrayBuffers? If so do you have any timeline on it? I need the answers to these questions because based on that I can proceed that what will be the best solution for us.

1 Like

@GrapaAdmin @acceluser8866

I’ll confirm with our team what our exact plans are as well as the timeline. This isn’t intended to be a temporary fix but the problem is that I don’t think Chrome has announced what they plan to do in order to replace this functionality and allow ease of use with these near-native methods.

I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.

Max

@MaxM is there any update on the above questions? If not then when can we expect an update from you?

Hey @acceluser8866,

My apologies for the delay here, I’ve spoken with some internal teams about this but wasn’t able to confirm the details here. I’ve since reached out to a different internal engineering team that should be able to fill be in on the roadmap.

I’ll let you know what I hear. (ZOOM-299305)

Thanks,
Max

Hey @acceluser8866,

Our team got back to me and indicated that while they are reviewing other APIs to use, they expect that by the time Chrome 94 is released many applications will have transferred of to using Cross Isolation. If that’s not the case, it’s highly likely that Chrome will extend the the Origin Trial.

As we are both reacting to the industry trends set by Chrome moving to Cross Isolated pages seems to be the direction the industry is moving in especially when it comes to Shared Array Buffers.

Thanks,
Max

Faced the same issue. After adding SharedArrayBuffer Origin Trial token , It shows the View button for 1-2 seconds and then its getting removed and we see only fullscreen button on the top right.
After a participant joins View button gets enabled again. So its resolved for us now with Origin Trial token

Hey @sudharsans,

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Thanks,
Max

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.