How can I add closed captions to my Zoom Marketplace video?

Description

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 7.45.13 PM
I would like the ability to add closed captions to the video on my apps Zoom Marketplace listing. My app is meant to assist the deaf and hard of hearing. It would be best if the Zoom marketplace was accessible for all users and let me upload a closed caption file alongside my video.

I would like the ability to upload an SRT file or WebVTT file alongside my video.

Closed Caption files are not hard to support they are supported by all major browsers.

Mozilla shows how HTML5 Video elements support text track elements: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Guide/Audio_and_video_delivery/Adding_captions_and_subtitles_to_HTML5_video

See this google support article on SRT closed caption format. https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2734698

Hey @recordedspeed,

Are you wanting to add closed captions to a live Zoom meeting, or a recording of a Zoom meeting?

Thanks,
Tommy

@tommy, neither. I have an app already published on the Zoom Marketplace. I am able to add images and video to my app marketplace page. I would like to add closed captions to the video so that the content is accessible to all.

Hey @recordedspeed,

Ah gotcha! Good idea! I suggest adding the closed caption overlay to the actual video, and then update the current video in your App Marketplace settings.

Thanks,
Tommy

Thanks. I think your suggestion is the approach I will take. We refer to this as “burned in captions”. The problem with burned in captions is that they can obscure content in the video. For this reason many prefer to use closed captions which can be shown or hidden depending on the user’s preference. Can you add this as a feature request to allow marketplace listings to upload SRT or VTT caption files in addition to their video?

Hey @recordedspeed,

Gotcha. Yes, please share this as a feature request here: #feature-requests

Thanks,
Tommy

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.