How to access Closed Caption settings in Zoom SDK settings window?

Description

The Zoom SDK affords its own settings window, and a class ZoomSDKSettingService which exposes much of this to SDK clients.

However, while implementing Closed Captioning in our app using the ZoomSDKCloseCaptionController and displaying with our own UI, I’d like some way of synchronizing our displayed CC messages with the font size options in the Zoom setting window.

However, I haven’t been able to find any public hooks for getting this Closed Caption font size from the setting window.

Which macOS Client SDK version?
5.5 (12509.0330)

To Reproduce(If applicable)
Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Launch an app using the Zoom SDK
  2. Enable Closed Captions in this custom app, using the related SDK Closed Caption controller
  3. Open the Zoom SDK settings window
  4. Observe there is an Accessibility section, with options for adjusting the CC display font size

Results: I’ve not been able to find any public methods or hooks for synchronizing our Closed Captioning UI with this font size slider in the Zoom ‘Accessibility’ section

Screenshots

Device (please complete the following information):

• Device: Macbook Pro 13"

Additional context
n/a

Hi @matt.r.zoom, thanks for the post.

I do not believe it is possible to set the font size programmatically. It can only be done through the settings window. Can you provide some context around your use case so that we can investigate adding this feature in a future release?

Thanks!

Hi Jon,

Sorry for any confusion, what I’m hoping to confirm is if there is a hook that the SDK exposes to provide us the user’s preferred font size setting from the SDK’s Closed Captioning font size slider in the settings window.

This window ^ is managed by the Zoom SDK, so all of that UI is private and controlled by the SDK.

As such, I haven’t found a way of determining what that font size preference is set to.

I can’t seem to find any APIs in the SDK that allow us to determine the font size from the CC slider so that we can make use of that same setting in our custom Closed Caption UI.

In other words, we would like to allow users to use that Font Size slider that is already available in the Zoom SDK settings window. But we want to be able to use whatever size they select in some of our own custom UI.

However the SDK (AFAICS) doesn’t seem to expose the value from that slider programmatically through any APIs. I’m hoping to confirm if that’s the case or if I’ve simply overlooked something.

Hi @matt.r.zoom,

Thanks for clarifying! Retrieving the caption font size is also not supported. Am I understanding correctly that you wish to use this font sizing for purposes outside of closed captioning?

Thanks!

Hi Jon,

Thanks for clarifying! Retrieving the caption font size is also not supported.

Ok, thank you for confirming.

Am I understanding correctly that you wish to use this font sizing for purposes outside of closed captioning?

Not exactly, no, we are displaying Closed Captions but with our own custom UI. For that reason, this font size setting doesn’t automatically apply to our custom UI of course, so we were hoping to be able to get its value directly so that we could customize our UI to match this preference.

However, if this isn’t supported, we will look for another option.

Thank you

Hi @matt.r.zoom,

Thanks for understanding. Since these settings are really only meant to pertain to the default UI’s appearance, I do not think that it is likely that the SDK will be adding support for this when using a custom UI.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.