IM Chat API's response when message encryption is enabled

Hello,

When the end-to-end encryption is enabled for IM messages, the Chat API does not return the encrypted message text. Is there any way to retrieve the encrypted messages through API? Are there any permissions that can be added to the APP scope to enable it?

Thank you.

Hi @snpatel_zoom,

Which Chat API are you referring too?

I am referring to /im/chat/sessions/{sessionId}.

For encrypted messages the message string in the response comes like so:
“message”: “[This is an encrypted message]”

Good morning.

Any news around this? Is there a way to get the decrypted message content through the API when end-to-end encryption is enabled?

Thanks.

Hey @emata_zoom,

Which endpoints are you using? The /im/chat/sessions endpoints are deprecated.

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi @tommy

We use an account level app token, so, we are still using /im/chat/sessions endpoints until we can use the new Chat Messages endpoints with that kind of token.

Do you now if the new Chat Messages endpoints will return the decrypted message text even when end-to-end encryption is enabled at the application level?

Best regards.

Hey @emata_zoom,

Can you share where this setting is so I can test it?

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi @tommy,

Sorry I am replying this thread with a different user, reason is explained here in case you want to take a look.

In any case going back to your question, I meant to say “… enabled at the account level”. Just as described in “End-To-End-Encryption-for-Chat”

Best regards.

Hey @emata, @emata_zoom,

Gotcha! Yes, if Chat Encryption is enabled, and you call the List Users Chat Messages endpoint, you will get the following:

{
    "date": "2020-04-28",
    "page_size": 10,
    "next_page_token": "",
    "messages": [
        {
            "id": "4E2E4D9A-F010-4204-B185-CBFD113D8AC6",
            "message": "[This is an encrypted message]",
            "date_time": "2020-04-28T17:44:39Z",
            "timestamp": 1588095879772
        }
    ]
}

I will see if there is a way to decrypt this. (ZOOM-156492)

Thanks,
Tommy

Thanks @tommy

Please keep me posted in case you find a way to get the decrypted messages within the described scenario.

Regards.

Hey @emata,

After speaking with our engineers, there is no way to decrypt this using the API.

The only way to see the decrypted message would be within the Zoom Client.

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi @tommy,

That is very unfortunate for some use cases. Anyways, I really appreciate your help on this topic, at least we now have official confirmation on that “limitation”.

Best regards.

1 Like

Hey @emata,

We understand. We will see what we can do about supporting encrypted chat with the API in the future.

Thanks,
Tommy

1 Like