Inquiry regarding the API

Hi,
I am a high school student and I am working on an application to help the teachers from my school conduct the online classes in a better way. One of my goals was to help the teachers take attendance easily without wasting a lot of time. Thus, I thought about using the Zoom API to complete this task. I had a few questions regarding this and was hoping that someone could me out in them.

1. Firstly, all of my teachers at school have the basic accounts. Is it possible to use the API service for free, i.e. without the premium account.
  2. Secondly, my preferred language is python. Which API should I use to make my application?
    I hope someone will be able to help me out.

Hey @goenkashri,

Thank you for reaching out to the Zoom Developer Forum. I’m happy to help!

If you wanted to make an app so that you can call the API on behalf of your teacher’s accounts, then you would want to use an OAuth App. When using an OAuth app, you can publish it to the Zoom Marketplace so that other accounts can install the app. While developing the app, it can only be installed on your account.

Once the app is installed, you can make a request to the API on behalf of the account that installed your app. If you want to get the list of participants for a past meeting, you can use the Get Past Meeting Participants API.

In order to get information about participants during a live meeting, you’ll can to use the List Meeting Participants Dashboard API but this API requires a Business Plan or higher. This likely won’t work as you mentioned that most of the teachers will be using a Basic plan.

With that being said, we also have Webhook Events that you can subscribe to which work without a Business plan.

In this case, you can subscribe to the meeting.participant_joined webhook in order to receive a POST request to your endpoint when a participant joins a meeting.

Please see the following article on consuming RESTful APIs with Python:

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Max

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.