iOS Meeting SDK crashes upon admitting user into meeting

Description
Just upgraded to the latest Meeting SDK for iOS (v5.7.6.1082, previously using 5.5.12509.0401 without any issues);
Users can join meeting rooms, but the app now consistently crashes as soon as users are admitted into the meeting. I verified that the zoom initialization happens properly, as does the joinMeetingWithJoinParam step (getting into the waiting room).

I see nothing helpful in the device logs before the crash. Excerpt from the crash log below, happy to share the full crash logs if needed. Any help if appreciated.

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Subtype: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000158
VM Region Info: 0x158 is not in any region.  Bytes before following region: 4362518184
      REGION TYPE                 START - END      [ VSIZE] PRT/MAX SHRMOD  REGION DETAIL
      UNUSED SPACE AT START
--->  
      __TEXT                   10406c000-104bb0000 [ 11.3M] r-x/r-x SM=COW  ...pp/[redacted]

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [541]
Triggered by Thread:  0

Thread 0 name:  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
Thread 0 Crashed:
0   MobileRTC                     	0x00000001070c5f14 0x106eb0000 + 2187028
1   libdispatch.dylib             	0x00000001a18ea2b0 _dispatch_call_block_and_release + 24
2   libdispatch.dylib             	0x00000001a18ea2b0 _dispatch_call_block_and_release + 24
3   libdispatch.dylib             	0x00000001a18eb298 _dispatch_client_callout + 16
4   libdispatch.dylib             	0x00000001a1899ce0 

Which iOS Meeting SDK version?
v5.7.6.1082

Smartphone (please complete the following information):

• Device: iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 6S

Hi @RisaltoSam,

Sorry to hear you’re running into a crash. I’ve tried reproducing this, but am able to successfully join after being admitted to the meeting from the waiting room. Are you using the default meeting UI, or have you implemented a custom meeting UI? Are you able to reproduce this in the SDK sample app?

Thanks!

Hi Jon,
Interestingly, I’m running into exact same issue with the sample app. (Just downloaded from github, using SDK v5.7.6.1082 also, only replaced the SDK key and secret in AppDelegate).
As with our app, the crash happens when I admit the app user into the meeting.

Happy to share encrypted logs if it helps.

Hi @RisaltoSam,

Sorry if it wasn’t clear, but the SDK sample app is the one that is included with the SDK package from the Marketplace. Can you please confirm whether or not you were using this when reproducing the crash? Since you mentioned GitHub, it seems that you were using the quickstart app instead of the full sample app.

Thanks!

Hi @jon.zoom, thanks for the clarification between the sample app and the quickstart one.
It looks like the sample app does work for me, using the same meeting/token that lead to a crash in the quickstart app.
Am I right to infer that the quickstart app wasn’t updated to support the latest SDK?
I guess my next step is to go through the changelogs and see what I might be missing.

Hi @RisaltoSam,

We do try to keep the quickstart guides up-to-date along with our documentation, but it does appear that this guide is outdated since the SDK now uses XCFramework files. That being said, as long as you are correctly adding the SDK to your project, I’m not sure what could have introduced this crash since it is not a case you would need to manually handle when using the SDK’s default meeting UI.

Can you provide some context around your SDK usages so that we can verify everything looks correct on that front?

Thanks!

Hi @jon.zoom ,
Our SDK usage is limited to users joining meetings; no custom UI or anything, which is why the quickstart app has been a good reference for us so far.
I followed the same steps as usual to add the SDK to our project, pretty much the exact same steps outlined in the quickstart app guide [1]. I’ve tried authenticating using either sdkKey + sdkClient or the jwtToken, both of which lead to the same crash (auth is successful and user can join the meeting room, but app crashes when user is admitted)

[1] GitHub - zoom/client-sdk-iOS-getting-started

Hi @RisaltoSam,

I took a few minutes to implement a version of the quickstart app which immediately joins a meeting and it seems to be working correctly without crashing. Can you please provide screenshots of how the SDK was added to your project and code snippets of how the SDK was used (be sure to remove developer credentials beforehand!) so we can look into this further? Also, just to be clear, is this crash reproducible if there is no waiting room for the meeting?

Thanks!

Hi @jon.zoom ,
Just tried the quickstart app with a meeting without a waiting room, and this actual works properly.
The exact same setup crashes if I set up the meeting to have a waiting room (crash happens upon admitting a user).
Not a ton more to say about the setup, it’s just the quickstart app (ObjectiveC version) cloned from github with the following changes:

• Copied the latest MobileRTC.xcframework folder and MobileRTCBundle at the root of the folder (see screenshot below)
  • Set up the provisioning profiles
  • Set the authService.jwtToken value in AppDelete (verified that the authentication succeeds)
    Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 10.49.00 AM

Since I’m able to join a meeting without a waiting room, it seems pretty clear that the setup is correct?

Hi @RisaltoSam,

Even with an unmodified version of the app in that repo (other than adding SDK credentials and the latest version of the SDK), I cannot reproduce the crash that you are seeing. Based on this, it seems pretty likely that there is something else going on in your environment which I am not aware of.

Since I’m able to join a meeting without a waiting room, it seems pretty clear that the setup is correct?

Probably, but not definitely. Without a full picture of your project, it’s hard to tell for sure. In order to completely rule out some variables, would you be able to share your project as you are running it (with your developer credentials removed, of course)?

Thanks!

Hi @jon.zoom ,
Sure, what’s the best way to share this? The zipped project is around 165MB (including the SDK)

Hi @RisaltoSam,

You can send this through a ticket on our developer support site. Be sure to mention this thread so that the ticket is correctly routed to me. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.