Is READ_PHONE_STATE now a required permission?

Description
We have a custom ui app, on version 5.7.6.1918. Recently one of our users has not been able to start calls. The device logs contained this message and stack trace.

Java.Lang.SecurityException: getCallState: Neither user 10428 nor current process has android.permission.READ_PHONE_STATE. ---> Android.Util.AndroidException: Remote stack trace:
	at android.app.ContextImpl.enforce(ContextImpl.java:2178)
	at android.app.ContextImpl.enforceCallingOrSelfPermission(ContextImpl.java:2206)
	at android.content.ContextWrapper.enrSelfPermforceCallingOission(ContextWrapper.java:905)
	at com.android.server.telecom.TelecomServiceImpl.canReadPhoneState(TelecomServiceImpl.java:2323)
	at com.android.server.telecom.TelecomServiceImpl.access$300(TelecomServiceImpl.java:78)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at Java.Interop.JniEnvironment+InstanceMethods.CallIntMethod (Java.Interop.JniObjectReference instance, Java.Interop.JniMethodInfo method, Java.Interop.JniArgumentValue* args) [0x0006e] in <617ecae5129441ed8a3bc4af0a25ab13>:0 
  at Android.Runtime.JNIEnv.CallIntMethod (System.IntPtr jobject, System.IntPtr jmethod, Android.Runtime.JValue* parms) [0x0000e] in <f1fe9407d64e43458f1908eca13252aa>:0 
  at US.Zoom.Sdk.IMeetingServiceInvoker.JoinMeetingWithParams (Android.Content.Context p0, US.Zoom.Sdk.JoinMeetingParams p1, US.Zoom.Sdk.JoinMeetingOptions p2) [0x000a1] in <da10882630b14c8695ac5591ac4d7846>:0 

The zoom docs do not list READ_PHONE_STATE as a required permission. But this behaviour suggests that it is?

Which Android Meeting SDK version?

Smartphone (please complete the following information):

• Device: Google Pixel 3XL

I’m wondering if this is an Android 12 problem? Some devices running 12 seem to work fine, but some do not. On the ones that do not, even f I add the missing permission, I the get an error about the ScreenShareServiceForSDK

Hi @a.diament,

Are you able to reproduce this crash on any older versions of Android? We do not yet have support for Android 12, so if this is only reproducible on that version we will need to wait for support to be added.

Thanks!

@jon.zoom only on Android 12 so far

Hi @a.diament,

Thanks for confirming. In that case, let’s see if this is still reproducible once Android 12 support is released and we can revisit if needed. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks!

1 Like

@jon.zoom Using the latest Android 12 support sdk 5.9.6.4777 we are still reproducing this on Android 12 phones. It works on pixel 3, but not on samsung s10 or s21.

Should we add permission READ_PHONE_STATE? The documentation for the Android meeting SDK doesn’t mention that it is required as far as I can see.

Hi @a.diament,

Thanks for confirming. For now, you can add that permission to prevent the crash as a temporary fix. we’ll need to investigate why this was added and update our documentation. I’ll be sure to keep you updated.

Thanks!

Hi @a.diament,

This permission was intentionally added as part of our effort to add Android 12 support. We will update our documentation soon to reflect this permission.

Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.