Is there a link between the meeting.created and meeting.started webhook events?

Description
When a user creates a meeting the meeting.created webhook event is fired. Of course, when the meeting that was created is then started the meeting.started webhook event is fired. Is there some way to identify that these two events reference the same meeting? When starting the meeting using the calendar event I was expecting to have some piece of data available that would identify that they’re referencing the same meeting, that the meeting that is being started is the one that was already schedule, but I’m not seeing anything. It appears that the data that’s being supplied in the meeting.started event is completely independent and that there’s no way to identify the meeting that is starting refers to the meeting that was previously created.

Which App Type (OAuth / Chatbot / JWT / Webhook)?
meeting.created

meeting.started

Add any other context about the problem here.

Hi @shawn.broadhead,

This is a great question. Because a scheduled meeting and a started meeting will have unique UUIDs, the best way to tie these events together is via the Meeting ID.

The Meeting ID is essentially the overarching umbrella that ties together all instances of a Meeting (all of its UUIDs). You can also query past meeting instances (UUIDs) via Meeting ID to further confirm individual meeting instances and their relationship to an ID, via this endpoint:

Let me know if this helps!
Will

Hi Will, thank you for your response. However, I believe there is an issue somewhere. By “Meeting ID”, I assume you’re referring to the ID field of the Meeting object of the event Payload. You are correct that every meeting that I schedule has a different meeting ID (and UUID), however, every meeting that I start, whether it be directly from the New Meeting button or the Start button of a scheduled meeting through the Zoom app is created with my Meeting ID, not the ID of the scheduled meeting. Therefore, in my testing, if I schedule a meeting and then start it the IDs are different. Of course, since the UUID is always unique, I still do not have a way to tie together a scheduled meeting to a started meeting, as best as I can tell.

Hi @shawn.broadhead,

Thanks for getting back to me and for providing this context. To confirm, are you scheduling your meetings using your Personal Meeting ID (PMI)? It sounds like this is the case, but want to make sure.

If so, I should note that meetings scheduled using PMI will also generate a unique Meeting ID separate from your PMI, to reflect the scheduled instance of the meeting. Please see this overview of PMI behavior here:

Can you let me know if this helps to clarify what you’re seeing?

Thanks!
Will

I think we’re not connecting somewhere so let me try to state what I’m seeing and what we’re hoping to accomplish in another way. In the Zoom desktop application, when I click the “Schedule” icon to schedule a meeting that meeting is assigned what appears to be a unique ID, as seen in the webhook event that I receive. For instance, when I schedule a meeting for tomorrow at 9:00 the JSON data that I receive for the meeting.created event might show an id of 784367147 and UUID of
czLF6FFFoQOKgAB99DlDb9g==. Then, tomorrow when I start the meeting by clicking on the “Start” button for the meeting, the meeting.started event shows an id of 998078****, which is my meeting id, which is the same for all scheduled meetings or meetings that I start directly. And, of course, a new unique UUID, which is always unique, as we’ve established. What I’m hoping to accomplish some link between the scheduled meeting and the start event for that meeting. Since the scheduled meeting’s ID is always unique and the started meeting is always my meeting ID and the UUID is always unique, I can’t find a way to identify that the scheduled meeting is the one that is started. Again, thank you for all of your help and hopefully we can resolve this.

Hey @shawn.broadhead,

The Meeting ID and the Meeting UUID from the meeting.created event should match the meeting.started event. I confirmed this when testing on my account.

Have you confirmed these events aren’t related to meetings that another user has created on your account?

Thanks,
Max

Yes, this is not in production yet so between this fact and the fact that I’m double checking on the data I can confirm that all meetings and events are related to what I am doing. In fact, I just checked again. I don’t know what you can see on your end, but I just ran another test and verified that the meeting I created had an id of 93053089745 and a UUID of 9YAOhoKrRbKtQpyklfPTlQ==, but when I start it using the button shown in the attached screen shot the meeting uses my meeting room id, the same as it always is, and a UUID of W1dKfje1S9ms7jXp2NJCgQ==

I believe I have figured out what the difference is. I didn’t notice that there is a radio button when creating a meeting to either automatically generate a meeting id or to use the personal meeting id. In my case it was selected to use the Personal Meeting Id (I never even noticed the button so I assume that’s the default). However, when I selected the Generate Automatically option I then got a unique meeting id that I could then use to update the meeting’s record.

Hey @shawn.broadhead,

I’m glad that you were able to figure it out! I was reading through your first response and was going to ask you to make sure that you aren’t using your Personal Meeting ID for the meeting.

You beat me to it!

To clarify, with meetings created with the PMI, you’ll see that a random meeting ID and UUID are assigned prior to the meeting starting. Once the meeting has started, the real IDs are assigned to that meeting.

Thanks,
Max

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.