Tracking Meetings with id and uuid before and after they occur

I’m trying to understand the best way to associate a meeting that has happened with a meeting that has been scheduled.

My understanding is that there is a uuid for a meeting that is scheduled and a different uuid for a meeting that has occurred with the only common identifier between them being the 10 digit meeting id.

So far so good, I use the meeting.ended webhook to get the new uuid no problem and can use the 10 digit meeting id to reference the scheduled meeting. The problem is, as far as I can tell, the 10 digit meeting id is not unique and expires after a set amount of time. Which is a problem, because when I get the meeting.ended hook and lookup any setting associated with the scheduled meeting I may get multiple hits when looking up the 10 digit meeting id and have no way to know which is correct without attempting to maintain an expiration that aligns with the Zoom internal expiration.

Is there any other way to associate a scheduled meeting with its counterpart after it has occurred except the 10 digit id? If not, it would be hugely beneficial to retain a pointer to the scheduled meeting uuid in the new record of the meeting once it’s occurred.

Hey @michael3,

You are spot on, the best way right now is to use the meeting.ended webhook and reference back to the scheduled meeting via the meeting id.

If you use the meeting.ended webhook, and make the connection right away via the meeting ID you should not run into the issue of the meeting expiring.

Let me know if that answers your question.

Thanks,
Tommy

It does answer my question, thanks Tommy. I think I can understand the history of the Zoom data where a meeting started off as a singular entity - its scheduled, then started, then finished - same record. Eventually users began starting calls on accident and requesting recurring meetings so the occurrence of the meeting needed to be separated from the scheduled entity. I just hope that you can understand the difficulty in working with it as a developer when I don’t have anything concrete to associate the scheduled with the occurred. I think you already have a path to it in the data, if the meeting that is distributed with the webhook “.ended” event simply referenced the scheduled meeting uuid there would no longer be reliance on the temporary id that currently links them. I think a better solution (for both clarity and usefulness) would be to include the reference AND rename either the scheduled meeting api or the past meeting api. I’m fairly certain they are different collections in the data anyways. Thanks again. I know there are many considerations and difficulties in developing an api - but please take this into consideration from a developers perspective.

Hey @michael3,

Really appreciate your feedback. Feedback like this will really help improve our platform, and I will pass this on to our team. :slight_smile:

Another way of connecting the meeting ID with the updated meeting UUID is the List Ended Meeting Instances endpoint:

Thanks,
Tommy