Is there any way to distinguish meeting has limitation or not?

Description
Hi guys,

First, we use OAuth App to create meeting instead users create it by themselves.
Then, we also use Web SDK to integrate ZOOM into our web service, so participants can join meeting which is created in first step easily (w/o zoom account).

During development, we found that if the host account is free, hosted meeting has 40-minutes limitation. When the meeting ends because of time limit, many users feel like meeting has ended by unknown bug or crash instead of limitation. Since we think this will become bad UX to users, we want to notify users that the meeting has specific limitation, or even more remaining time instead of sudden end of meeting.

Therefore, my questions are two.

1. Is there any way to know that the meeting has limitation? Because there are both basic zoom user and licensed zoom user in our service, we first know which users are using basic account or which meetings have time limitation.

2. (Optional) Is there any way to know the remaining time of meeting which has time limitation? If possible, we consider to show remaining time to users.

Thanks for reading. I hope your reply.

Error
No error report.

Which Client Web SDK version?

Hey @dev9,

Good question!

You can use the Get User API to see which plan they are on:

https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/api-reference/zoom-api/users/user

You can take the start time of the meeting and subtract it by 40 minutes. :slight_smile:

Let me know if that helps!

Thanks,
Tommy

Thank you for answer, @tommy !

However, there remain questions not solved yet…

1. We’ve found that if any licensed user join basic meeting, the meeting will change to licensed meeting, which become free from 40 minutes limitation. However, it’s not possible to use User API for participants from outside of our service. Do you have any idea for this case?

2. When I searched the documentation and tested, the start time of meeting exists only in scheduled meeting(or recurring meeting), but it seems that it does NOT reflect the “real start time”. What I mean is that even though we set the meeting’s start time at 3:00 p.m., we could start it 10 minutes early or late. In these cases, the meeting will reach its limitation early or late as same amount. However, both have the same start time in there API response (GET /meetings), 3:00 p.m.

Any idea, suggestion, or advices are welcome. Of course critics, too.

Thanks,
CLASSUM

Hey @dev9,

Thank you for your questions. I’m happy to help!

We don’t have an API that will allow you to determine if a participant outside of your account is licensed or not. If you create an OAuth App and the participant has your app installed, you can call the API on their behalf.

There are a couple of options when it comes to getting the Actual Start Time of a meeting. First, you can subscribe to the meeting.started webook to receive an event when the meeting starts.

Second, for ended meetings, you can call the List Ended Meeting Instances API to get the actual start time for a meeting that has ended.

Finally, and potentially most useful, is the Get Meeting Details Dashboard API which will provide you with the actual start time for an ongoing meeting.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Max

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.