Lowest version of Node.js compatible with Video SDK UI Toolkit

What is the lowest possible version of Node.js that the Video SDK UI Toolkit is compatible with? I am working with a migration from Twilio Video in Node v14.x and would like to use the UI Toolkit, but am finding several errors. Was wondering if it could be attributable to the low version of Node.

Hey @jmclaughlin,

The Video SDK UI Toolkit is a front-end SDK and doesn’t require a specific version of Node. You can even use it with a simple <script> tag as documented here Video SDK - web - UI Toolkit

<link rel="stylesheet" href="@zoom/videosdk-ui-toolkit/dist/videosdk-ui-toolkit.css">
<script src="@zoom/videosdk-ui-toolkit/index.js" type="module"></script>
1 Like

The lowest version of Node.js that is compatible with the Video SDK UI Toolkit is Node.js 16. If you are currently using Node.js v14.x, it is likely that the errors you are encountering are due to this version being too low.

To resolve the issues you’re facing, I recommend upgrading your Node.js environment to at least version 16. You can do this by following these steps:

Check your current Node.js version:

node -v

Upgrade to Node.js 16:

If you’re using nvm (Node Version Manager), you can upgrade easily:

nvm install 16

nvm use 16

Alternatively, you can download and install Node.js 16 directly from the official Node.js website.

Verify the upgrade:

node -v

Make sure it returns v16.x.x.

After upgrading, try running your project again. This should resolve the compatibility issues with the Video SDK UI Toolkit.

If you continue to face any issues, feel free to provide more details about the errors, and I can assist you further.

Hey @jmclaughlin ,

Were you able to resolve this? What is the use case for needing such a low Node version?

Best,
Tommy

Hi @tommy

Thanks for the response. I was not able to resolve my issue. My project is a blockchain health foundation app that previously used Twilio Video. Rather than migrating to a Zoom app that only allows for one-to-one video sessions, I want to implement a chat/video functionality with several participants that Zoom videosdk-ui-toolkit provides. I am looking for a low Node version because the original app that I am working with was built with ‘create-react-app’ which has issues when upgrading. I have upgraded to Node 16.x with not much trouble, but if I go any higher, there will be a ton of dependency conflicts.

Thanks very much for any help you can offer.

Best regards,

John

Hey @jmclaughlin ,

What error are you facing when trying to run the UI Toolkit?

By the way, the Zoom Video SDK (the official migration path for Twilio Video) is a very similar developer experience. You can keep your existing user interface and just point to Zoom.

Here is the migration guide for web:

Best,
Tommy

Thanks very much for your response Tommy. Does migration to Zoom Video SDK allow for multi-party sessions where, at least our implementation, Twilio Video only allowed for a one-to-one chat?

You can use the Video SDK for many-to-many video sessions.