Making direct calls to contacts

The Zoom desktop app has a feature where you can view your contacts and there’s an option to “Meet with Video”. As far as I can tell, this feature starts your personal meeting room and then sends a notification to your contact that allows them to join the meeting via a popup dialog in the Zoom app.

I want to replicate this feature in a custom Android app. The Zoom SDK for Android does not allow you to browse your contacts. I can solve this by using the REST API to get and display the contacts. Once a user chooses a contact, I can launch the user’s personal meeting room. The only missing piece is how to notify the chosen contact that they are being called and should join the meeting room. I was hoping to also use the REST API for this. I found this post from a couple years ago:

The solution says there are no APIs to make this happen. I was wondering if anything has changed and if such an API is either available now or is coming soon?

I could fall back to sending a chat message with a link to the meeting, but I like the way the desktop app pops this right up on your screen with accept and decline buttons.

Hi @vuzix_greg ,

Great suggestion and this could help meet your needs best given there have been no updates on Zoom’s end re: this type of implementation. If you’d like to see this supported in future versions, please consider submitting a #feature-requests.

Thank you,
Gianni

Thanks @gianni.zoom, I just submitted a feature request.

Hey @vuzix_greg,

Thank you for submitting a feature request! Our engineering team will review it and consider implementing it.

Thanks,
Max

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.