Meeting.ended but host did not end

I’m experience something that could be an edge case or possibly something which I’m missing in the docs:

https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/api-reference/webhook-reference/meeting-events/meeting-ending

The docs explain that meeting.ended should be fired only when the host has clicked End meeting. However it seems like this is also triggered in edge cases, for example, the host had a sudden computer restart causing him to leave the meeting. The attendee than also leaves the meeting, which seems to trigger an inadvertent meeting.ended which should have resumed after ~5mins.

Is that possible? Does that actually happen?

Thanks!

Hey @alon,

Yes this is the intended functionality. If the hosts computer crashes, then the host “Leaves the meeting” without ending it. Then the attendee becomes the host, and if the attendee leaves, then the meeting.ended event will trigger.

Thanks,
Tommy

is there a way to avoid this behavior with some flag or some API call?

is there a way of avoiding the attendee becoming the host? this doesn’t make sense for the attendee to get control of the meeting…

Hey @alon,

The attendee does not get control of the meeting or your account. They just become the host since they are the only ones in the meeting. You could try turning off the join before host setting.

Thanks,
Tommy

was this logic changed in today / yesterday? suddenly I’m not getting meeting.ended

it’s possible that what I’m experience is that all Zoom users were deauthorized, and so they enter the meeting not-logged-in (not as the host) thus when meeting is ended they do “Leave meeting” instead of “End meeting” causing the meeting to never become indicated as done

Hey @alon,

Are you using a Webhook only app type?

If so, can you check your logs here: https://marketplace.zoom.us/user/logs?type=WebhookOnly

Thanks,
Tommy

i’m using a chat-bot app

Hey @alon,

Related post:

We are looking into the issue and will get back to you. (ZOOM-144529)

Thanks,
Tommy

Hey @alon,

The issue should be fixed. We had a release early this morning.

Thanks for your patience,
Tommy

1 Like

@tommy
now there seems to be almost the opposite bug: Meeting host presses “End meeting” and selects “End meeting for all” but no event of meeting.ended is sent on Webhook

also sometimes I do receive meeting.ended, and try to delete meeting through the API, but receives 400 of meeting not ended :slight_smile: something’s fishy

Hey @alon,

Yes we are aware of the meeting.ended issues. Please monitor status.zoom.us for updates.

-Tommy

Hello,

I was in a zoom meeting with my teacher yesterday, and she was the host. I left the meeting, but somehow my camera was still on. Why did that happen?

Can the host still see the people in the meeting if they leave or end it themselves?

Hey @michela.yang21,

Once you leave a meeting your camera turns off. Did you have any other software running that used your camera or the Zoom video settings page open?

Thanks,
Tommy