Meeting Participant Report shows almost all users with multiple rows

Description
In the meeting participant report almost every user shows at least twice - the first (few) time(s) for just a few seconds and then the last time for remainder of their duration in the meeting.

Error
In the meeting participants report almost every user shows up at least twice per meeting:
The same occurs when viewing in the dashboard Meetings report.

Which App Type (OAuth / Chatbot / JWT / Webhook)?
This is a problem with the data itself, since it is also like this in the meeting dashboard.

Which Endpoint/s?

How To Reproduce (If applicable)
Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Pull data from api (or view in dashboard)
  2. See that most users have a very short time in the session followed by a long session time.

Screenshots (If applicable)

Additional context
This makes running reports on this data exceedingly difficult. It would be one thing to have to deal with users that leave and rejoin - that’s a reflection of actual real-world information. It’s a whole other thing to have that random 15 second joins scattered throughout all of the data.

Hey @ZoomFan2,

Thanks for sharing these details.

While this might be best suited for our Support Team, I’m happy to look into this for you in the meantime.

One thing I’m wondering is if this could be a result of a temporary disconnect due to internet connection. Do you know if these participants were in a low bandwidth environment during this meeting? If they were temporarily disconnected due to internet issues, it could be reflected as a momentary leave/rejoin.

Let me know,
Will

It is most participants across hundreds of meetings - so literally thousands of cases of this. So yes, it is probably due to a brief disconnect, but you’ll notice they reconnect in the same minute. And when looking at the data via the metric reports they actually reconnect in the SAME SECOND. See the following image (sorry about all the redaction):

The left time column is join and the right time column is leave. About 8 out of 10 people in every single meeting have this issue where they leave and rejoin within the same second.

(It’s impossible to get any kind of response from support about anything. I’m trying to help them resolve an ongoing bug currently. It took a month to get a response and then an additional more than a month to actually start talking about resolving it. And now it’s been many weeks since I’ve heard an update. And I’m not exaggerating on these times.)

Hi @ZoomFan2,

Thanks for clarifying and providing the additional details. Can you provide the Meeting IDs for these examples? I’m happy to reach out to our Engineering team to help confirm whether this is due to connection issues or if there might be something else going on.

Thanks!
Will

Thanks Will. Unfortunately, I chose the examples above at random and don’t know their ID’s. You can choose any one of the meetings on the account. Here is another one at random: 94492316199

Please let me know if this is an issue for just us due to something we are doing or if this is consistent across all meeting reports. (Either way, please fix this so we can actually use this data. Thanks.)

Hi @ZoomFan2,

Thanks for clarifying and providing those additional details. I’m having my team take a closer look at this to help determine if this is expected or not. (ZOOM-210546) I’ll follow up with an update here, once I hear back.

Thanks!
Will

I am wondering the same thing. In my report, every participant shows with a duration of “1”, the maximum time they stayed on the call, and in some cases durations of “3”.
“4” etc. In these cases they asked questions at the meeting - raising a hand, and turning on their microphone. So I wonder - does “1” account for them joining the meeting or perhaps voting on polls, the longer duration the length of time they were on the meeting, and the several smaller durations the time they were active on the call by asking questions?

Hi @granitedayladieszoom,

Did you have a waiting room enabled for your meeting? If you’re seeing multiple records for a using joining, this could reflect them joining the waiting room and then another event for being admitted to the meeting itself. Let me know if you think this could be the case.

Thanks!
Will

I faced same issue where waiting room is not enabled. I doubt that webhook is also not triggering for this case. Please let us know in which case this can be happen. See response of blow API call, where participant Amit Tambe has same issue.

GET https://api.zoom.us/v2/report/meetings/88144796135/participants?page_size=30

{
“next_page_token”: “”,
“page_count”: 1,
“page_size”: 30,
“participants”: [
{
“attentiveness_score”: “”,
“duration”: 1391,
“id”: “null”,
“join_time”: “2020-11-17T17:01:56Z”,
“leave_time”: “2020-11-17T17:25:07Z”,
“name”: “Dipen Sompura@270”,
“user_email”: “dipen.sompura+2@edutinker.com”,
“user_id”: “16778240”
},
{
“duration”: 1348,
“id”: “SW7FTaw7TjaaenC2hTGeyA”,
“join_time”: “2020-11-17T17:02:39Z”,
“name”: “Nilesh Gupta@272”,
“user_email”: “”,
“user_id”: “33555456”
},
{
“duration”: 1332,
“id”: “c6rShWqxSb2eXOg9xpUZcg”,
“join_time”: “2020-11-17T17:02:55Z”,
“name”: “Akash Aggarwal@273”,
“user_id”: “50332672”
},
{
“duration”: 998,
“id”: “lLxPvLW0TYSMS5If4W1PUw”,
“join_time”: “2020-11-17T17:03:17Z”,
“leave_time”: “2020-11-17T17:19:55Z”,
“name”: “Amit Tambe@274”,
“user_id”: “67109888”
},
{
“duration”: 313,
“id”: “lLxPvLW0TYSMS5If4W1PUw”,
“join_time”: “2020-11-17T17:19:55Z”,
“leave_time”: “2020-11-17T17:25:08Z”,
“name”: “Amit Tambe@274”,
“user_id”: “67110912”
},
{
“duration”: 1266,
“id”: “bWaHHuHsTamo4zTzRTpOiw”,
“join_time”: “2020-11-17T17:04:01Z”,
“name”: “Narendra Zatakiya@271”,
“user_id”: “83887104”
}
],
“total_records”: 6
}

Hi @dipen.sompura,

Are you sure this participant didn’t leave the meeting and then rejoin?

Similarly, is it possible that this user’s network connectivity could’ve been temporarily disconnected? If so, this can appear as a leave/rejoin.

Thanks,
Will

Hi @will.zoom,

It’s been a month since I last checked on this. Are there any updates on why our reporting is such a mess? (You mentioned ZOOM-210546, but I have no idea how to check on that.)

Thanks.

Yes I am sure that participant didn’t leave the meeting and rejoin.

Also if any network connectivity issue then also here first object’s leaveTime and second object’s joinTime are same which is not realistic in case of network connectivity issue.

Thanks,
Dipen Sompura.

Hey @dipen.sompura and @ZoomFan2,

Thanks for the additional details. We are looking into any other reasons that this issue can happen. We’ll get back to you as soon as we can.

Thanks,
Max

1 Like

Just had a meeting with the same issue. All participants joined for at least 1 minute in addition to the longer duration for which they remained in the meeting. Some participants had 3 or four entries for 3 or 4 minutes. I asked one of those participants if they left and came back multiple times - she left once. She might have waited longer in the waiting room until someone noticed her, which could have accounted for the longer time (3 minutes).
The other issue is that all of these entries count as the number of participants, so it skews the total. I generated a more accurate report by saving as an Excel workbook, re-sorting the participants alphabetically, then deleting all the lines for one minute. I could go ahead and delete the “2 minute” attendees, but I worry that I will delete a participant…
Finally (new topic, but related) is it possible to create the report with last name first so we can sort reports alphabetically by last name rather than first name?

Hi @granitedayladieszoom,

Thanks for reaching out about this—just to confirm, you’re using the API right? Is it possible to share the meeting ID so that I can take a closer look?

In regards to creating a report via API, it’s not possible to adjust the order in which the last name/first name fields are returned in the response.

Thanks,
Will

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.