Meeting webhooks (start, end, participant_joined, participant_left, etc.) don't fire when I'm not the host of the meeting

I want to know how much time I spend in meetings, and with whom. I’ve written a simple webhook receiver, and I find that none of the meeting webhooks fire if I’m not the host of the meeting.

I also can’t find any source of information, whether in the API or in the installed app itself that shows the history of meetings I’ve been in with sufficient detail.

At the end of the day, I don’t care how I get it, but I would like:

• the time I joined the meeting
  • the time I left the meeting
  • who the other people in the meeting were, at least during the time I was in the meeting (I understand that for privacy reasons I may not get to know this for meetings I don’t host)

Is there a way to access this information that I haven’t been able to find?

Is providing access to this information on the roadmap?

Hi @pauldoerwald
Thanks for reaching out to the Zoom Developer Forum and welcome to our community!
Could you please confirm that the events that you set up belong to the same account/user that is generating those meetings?

Have you looked into our Dashboard endpoints? such as List meeting participants here:

Hi @elisa.zoom ,

Thank you for your reply.

If I understand you correctly, I can confirm that the events belong to the same user account. I can set up webhooks for any user (assuming they authenticate and my service gets their token). Webhooks fire whenever they host a meeting, but webhooks do NOT fire whenever they attend a meeting they are not the host of.

I’ve read through all the API docs, although I have not dug into any of them, so forgive me any ignorance.

It appears that the Dashboard API is only available to paying users of certain plans. Although that would work for me, it won’t work for other users who may not have paid plans. (What I didn’t say above is that I’m building a time tracking tool called Clockk that lets anyone query the time they spent on Zoom calls, among other things.) Otherwise /metrics/meetings and /metrics/meetings/{meeting_id}/participants would be perfect!

The Meetings API is interesting, except that according to the documentation /users/{userID}/meetings only shows scheduled (future only?) meetings. The /past_meetings/ endpoints for some reason require a meetingID value, but I can’t see any way to determine a list of meetingIDs the user was a part of.

If it helps, let me state my requirements again, more clearly this time:

I am building a time tracking tool, that among other things, should show users how much time they spent on Zoom calls/meetings, and ideally who the other participants where (so they can remember who they were on the call with and the topic.) Ideally I’d use the webhooks, but they only work for meetings that the user is the host of, not for meetings they attend.

Thanks for your assistance!
Paul.

Hi @pauldoerwald
Thanks for sharing more details with me.
You are correct. If they do not host the meeting webhooks wont Fire.

You can only query meeting that belong to users. So we do not have an endpoint that you can call to get meetings that a user attended.

Hope this make it more clear

Ah, that’s too bad. Any plans to include such a thing? I think users would want to know their call history, and there’s nowhere* they can access it.

*there is a list buried deep in-app, but all the calls are 1 hour long, and at a glance it didn’t feel very accurate.

Hey @pauldoerwald
Sorry for the late reply!
I understand what you are saying and I agree with you! It can be very useful!

Feel free to make a feature request here:

Cheers,
Elisa

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.