Payload.object.registrant.id doesn't map to Zoom user ID for webhook registration-related events

Description

For all registration-related events (e.g. meeting.registration_cancelled), the value of payload.object.registrant.id didn’t appear to map to an actual Zoom user ID, even in the cases where a registered user is logged into their Zoom account prior to registration (the user I used in this test was not in the same Zoom org as my developer account, not sure if that matters). Is that expected?

Ideally, this ID would map to the Zoom user ID (i.e. the ID returned by the Get a User endpoint). This might allow applications like ours to route these events to the user who submitted the registration, so they can operate on these events programmatically (for example, I may want to get a Slack message when the status of my registration request changes).

Which App Type (OAuth / Chatbot / JWT / Webhook)?

OAuth, user-managed app.

How To Reproduce (If applicable)
Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Create a user-managed OAuth application, configuring Event Subscriptions and sending Meeting Registration Cancelled to a URL endpoint.
  2. Create a new meeting, requiring registration.
  3. In a separate Zoom account, register for the meeting using the registration URL from step 2.
  4. Cancel the registration for this user.
  5. The meeting.registration_cancelled webhook payload will contain a registrant ID, but that ID does not map to the Zoom user ID for the user who submitted the registration in step 3.

Hey @dylan,

Correct. The registrant id is the id of the registrant, not the Zoom user id or participant id.

This is tricky since you don’t need a Zoom account or have to be singed in when registering for a meeting / webinar. Your best bet is to map via the email field, but don’t rely on that email being a Zoom user email, because they might not have an account, or may have used a different email.

Thanks,
Tommy

Yep I hear you. Would it be too much to ask for a feature request to have this ID hold the value of the Zoom user ID when the user is logged in? Then applications like ours could at least route events to the correct user in that condition.

Hey @dylan,

We will evaluate this as a feature request. Although I could see how this could be abused, by registering emails to see if they have a Zoom account.

Thanks,
Tommy

1 Like