Query related to cloud recordings response processing and distinction between processing and no recording responses

API Endpoint - /meetings/{meetingId}/recordings
Link - Zoom Meeting API

Description -
I am currently analysing the Zoom meeting cloud recordings APIs . During the analysis, I found the API as mentioned above to be of use. There are some scenario listed as below.
meeting instance - a1 : recorded 2 times
meeting instance - a2 : recorded 1 time
meeting instance - a3 : didn’t record anything.

My queries are as below -
1. Is there any chance that instance a1 can give me proper 200 response and instance a2 can give me 404 with “Recording is still being processed” response at the same time ?
2. when I don’t record, I get below response.
{“code”:3301,“message”:“This recording does not exist.”}
When I did recording and it’s still being processed, I got the response as below.
{“code”:3301,“message”:“This recording is still being processed. Please come back to this page in a few minutes.”}
In both cases, HTTP status is 404 and code coming as 3301. Is there a way to distinguish between these two responses? Can I depend on “message” field text ?

Please let me know if you need any further information. Thanx.

Hi @ayshanim
Thanks for reaching out back to us!
I am happy to help here!
To answer your queries

1. Is there any chance that instance a1 can give me proper 200 response and instance a2 can give me 404 with “Recording is still being processed” response at the same time ?

Yes, you can get these answers because the processing time for the recordings can be different from one meeting instance to another

2. when I don’t record, I get below response.
{“code”:3301,“message”:“This recording does not exist.”}
When I did recording and it’s still being processed, I got the response as below.
{“code”:3301,“message”:“This recording is still being processed. Please come back to this page in a few minutes.”}
In both cases, HTTP status is 404 and code coming as 3301. Is there a way to distinguish between these two responses? Can I depend on “message” field text ?

Yes, you can rely on the message field text. Now, let me do some testing on my end about these scenarios to verify the messages and error codes that the API returns and will make sure to reach out back to you and to our Documentation team to update our docs accordingly.

Cheers,
Elisa

hi @elisa.zoom
Thank you so much for the response. Please do let me know post ur testing. I have few more queries regarding another Recording API found later. Please find them below.
API - Zoom Meeting API

Queries -

1. What is the purpose of List Recording API when there is already Get Recording API? What are the conditions when we should consider one API over the other?
  2. For the list recording API, can we always use primary host userId/mail Id to pull all the recordings for a given meeting even when the recording was done by alternative host? Or are there any scenarios when using primary host username will not get us proper response?
  3. Let’s say in one meeting instance, we don’t do any recording, will we get any response for that instance in this List Recording API?

Please let me know if you need further information.

HI @ayshanim
The List all recording endpoint will provide you with a list of all the recordings for certain users and Get meeting Recording will get you the recordings for certain meeting

For your second query, you will have to make sure that the recording was triggered under the alternative host and if the primary host was not in the meeting then you will have to query with the alternative host email/id cause the recording will be generated under the alternative host account.

If there is no recording, you won’t get a response for that

hi @elisa.zoom

Thank you very much for the clarifications. As per the last comment on List all recording endpoint , I think, this will not suit our use case as of now.

So, coming back to the Get meeting Recording API responses listed in the first post’s queries quoted below again.

Is there any possibility that either of these Response’s code (which is currently - 3301 for both) can be made different than another from Zoom side ?
Incase if it can’t be made different, can we assume that the message content will never change and it will always be in English because if it will change in future, it can affect handling of the responses on our side ?

Please let me know if you need any further information. Thanks.

What do you mean? @ayshanim
Do you mean that the code 3301 should be different for each message error?
If so, I am not sure if we can change this.
And yes, you can assume that the message content will be always in english

Hi @elisa.zoom
Yeah. I meant if code for “still processing” error and “doesn’t exist” error could be made different for distinction purpose between two.

If it is not possible, so are you saying that the message string/content will also remain same like below.

Message content for recording doesn’t exist.
{code”:3301,“message”:“This recording does not exist.”}
Message content for recording still getting processed.

Yes, the message will remain the same @ayshanim

@elisa.zoom
Thank you for all the clarifications.

1 Like