Registering: code 1001, "The email address has not been used as a Zoom account"

I’ve been using the zoom api to register users for meetings and it’s been working with old zoom accounts.
However, I just created a new zoom account with gmail about an hour ago (zach.t.nelson01@gmail.com).
Every time I try to register the account I get error code 1001, “The email address has not been used as a Zoom account.”

Is this a bug with gmail accounts, or can new accounts not join meetings that require registration. I’m really not sure what’s going on here.

THanks!

Hey @That-Tech-Guy,

Has that email confirmed their email address in Zoom?

Please share your full request URL and body.

Thanks,
Tommy

Hey Tommy, thanks for getting back to me. This error doesn’t seem to be what I thought it was.
It seems that I can register for a conference that has been created by any account in the company, except for once (which is the one I use for testing). This makes me wonder if there’s some kind of permission on the account creating the meeting which is causing this error.
Either way, it sounds like the error isn’t quite what it zoom is saying.

request url: “https://api.zoom.us/v2/meetings/” + zoom_meeting_id + “/registrants”
request body: {
“email”: email_to_register,
“first_name”: first_name_to_register,
“last_name”: last_name_to_register
}

This seems to be working fine except when the meeting is created by our “admin” account. It works when the meeting is created by any other licensed account.
That’s why this error seems so strange.

I’ll be going through the settings on the accounts to see if I can find anything weird that might be causing this. Let me know if you have any ideas though :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

Hey @That-Tech-Guy,

That is strange! You should be able to register any email for meeting registration even if they do not have a Zoom account.

Let me know if you find anything strange in the settings.

Thanks,
Tommy

@tommy I am seeing the same behavior- I’m on a pro plan and have a meeting I created where I set authentication required(user must be signed into their zoom account) then tried to add a registrant that was previously the owner email address of my account and that fails with the “The email address has not been used as a Zoom account.” error. Any other registrant with a valid zoom account seems fine, just the account owner/account affiliated user does not work. Oddly, even though registering that admin registrant through the API fails, it works doing it manually in a browser.

Hey @dtzoom,

Can you please share your request url and request body so I can debug?

Thanks,
Tommy

@tommy
The behavior has changed- possibly linked to an API update in the last few days? Now I cannot call addRegistrant on any email address that is not affiliated with my account (and that does not share the same domain), which completely breaks what I was working on. Here is a sample request/shell script that up until recently worked with email addresses not affiliated with my account(the script takes meeting ID ($1) as a command line parameter). The email address used below is a real email address I created just for this test

curl -XPOST “https://api.zoom.us/v2/meetings/$1/registrants” -H “Authorization: Bearer $access_token” -H “Content-Type: application/json” -d ‘{“email":"sebortiz1@outlook.com”,“first_name”: joe",“last_name”:“exotic”}’

It is now returning
{
“code”: 1001,
“message”: “User does not exist: sebortiz1@outlook.com.”
}
If I call the same curl request with the email address of a user affiliated with my pro account (added as a licensed user) then the request succeeds.

Here is how the meeting was created- I am requiring that users are signed into zoom, but that should not, and until recently did not, cause this problem:

curl -XPOST “https://api.zoom.us/v2/users/$user/meetings” -d ‘{“topic”:“My meeting”,“start_time”:“2021-05-31T07:00:00Z”, “type”:2,“settings”: {“approval_type”:1,“registration_type”:1,“join_before_host”:true,“waiting_room”:false,“close_registration”:false,“meeting_authentication”:true,“registrants_email_notification”:false}, “recurrence”:{“type”:1}}’ -H “Authorization: Bearer $access_token” -H “Content-Type: application/json”

This is utterly puzzling- did some more experimentation- I do not have anything enabled restricting domains(I confirmed this by doing a GET for the meeting which shows that authentication_domain is blank). I also visually confirmed in the zoom UI that the authentication option is set to “sign into zoom”, not “sign into zoom with specific domains”. If I try to add a registrant which is not part of my account but whose domain matches the domain name of my account owner that works. For example if my zoom account owner is owner@blah.com, I can add admin@blah.com or zoom@blah.com(matching blah.com domain), but I cannot add the equally valid user sebortiz1@outlook.com. I also tried creating a hotmail account dritogether@hotmail.com- which also does not work with addregistrant.
Also- for the email addresses I cannot add/register via the API, I can still add them in a browser by going to the registration URL and then I can programmatically approve them via the UI.

1 Like

I am getting following error:
{
“code”: 1001,
“message”: “User does not exist: praveen.kirk@gmail.com.”
}
Post url: https://api.zoom.us/v2/users/praveen.kirk@gmail.com/meetings
Complete Sample Request:
{
“topic”: “string”,
“type”: “2”,
“start_time”: “2020-05-03T12:00:00Z”,
“duration”: “100”,
“schedule_for”: “test”,
“timezone”: “Asia/Kolkata”,
“password”: “test123@A”,
“agenda”: “string”,

“settings”: {

}
}

Please help me.

I am running into this exact same issue as described above. We have an LMS platform and have multiple clients authorizing zoom accounts to collect webinar/event registration. We’re seeing this issue across the board if either Only authenticated users can join meetings is set on the account/user level or Only authenticated users can join: Sign in to Zoom is set on the meeting/webinar.

How can we get around this limitation without disabling the “Only authenticated users can join” option? That is obviously not ideal.

I am having the same issue as of recently. I was previously able to set up meetings from an admin account and invite certain participants to register. However this week all my invited registrants are reporting the error" The email address has not been used as a Zoom account"

Seems to be a new issue, likely caused by an API update.

Question; Will I be able to just send the existing Meeting ID and Password to the selectees in lieu of registration for them to access the meeting when the date arrives?

@tommy any word on whether an API update broke the use of add registrant functionality (for email addresses not associated with one’s account)? Or maybe the documentation hasn’t explained some new required combination of parameters or meeting type for things to work? I posted the create meeting request and add registrant request I used earlier in this thread.

1 Like

Hey @dtzoom, @kpicknight, @jkendall, @praveen.kirk,

Thanks for all the details. Our engineering team is looking into this. I will provide an update as soon as possible. (ZOOM-160454)

In case I need the meetingIDs to debug, please private message them to me.

-Tommy

@tommy as far as I can tell, private messages have been disabled here- there was a notice stating that a while back. Here’s a meeting ID I created just to test this out: 822 9754 3568 and you can try adding the test registrant I created for this purpose: sebortiz1@outlook.com (a valid zoom user). Any updates on this issue? It’s key to providing a feature paying customers are asking for.
Also, I’m assuming ZOOM-160454 is a ticket/issue ID- where can I follow it?

Thanks @dtzoom,

We are still looking into the issue. As for the ticket number, this is for our internal reference.

-Tommy

Hey @dtzoom, @praveen.kirk, @jkendall, @kpicknight. @That-Tech-Guy,

Please try to create a meeting/webinar without setting ‘meeting_authentication’ field:

Thanks,
Tommy

@tommy if authentication is not set, will it default to true? Because if it defaults to false that would completely defeat the purpose of what I’m trying to do. The point is to only allow users whose specific email addresses have been approved to access a meeting and half of that is proving that they own the email address, aka, they are signed into zoom using that email address. (This is not covered by the only allow emails from a certain domain feature either, since these can be arbitrary customer emails)

Let’s say I’m charging for a class and I have the email addresses of the people who have paid (email provided by the payment processor) with authentication off there would be nothing stopping an arbitrary person from joining the meeting via an invite link.

Hey @dtzoom,

It will default to your user and account level authentication settings.

True, I totally understand the use case here.

If you enable the authentication profiles option, and register a user that does not have a Zoom account, you will receive that error.

Possible solutions:

1. You can either inform the user to create a Zoom account

2. Or use a User Level OAuth app to have users connect their Zoom account, and that way you can use the email they used for their Zoom account to register them.

Thanks,
Tommy

@tommy I just want to chime in on what @dtzoom seems to be driving at as well.

At least for Zoom Webinars, it seems like a core usecase to let a large disparate audience join the event. This works fine when using zoom’s built in registration page. However for many customers, we want to handle the registration for the event ourselves in our own web applications.

So we should be able to “Register” a user to the zoom webinar via api, and then also launch them from our API. And to ensure no one who wasnt registered by us can access the webinar, the meeting_authentication needs to be set to true.

However this seems to be breaking now. Am I interpreting your last message as saying Zoom no longer supports external API registration for webinars without forcing the end user to have a zoom account? That is very concerning as the entire point of “webinars” is to deliver to an external audience without asking the end user to sign up for a service (e.g. creating a zoom account) as a direct customer…

Hey @jkendall,

You can totally register external Zoom users without them needing an account.

The cause of the error “The email address has not been used as a Zoom account.” when registering a user is because of the webinar requiring the user to login before joining. You can simply not set that setting. :slight_smile:

Request Body > Settings > meeting_authentication

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 4.07.11 PM

Thanks,
Tommy