Request for a way to enter full screen mode without the central notification overlay

Description
When entering full screen in the Windows Zoom client, an overlay is created in the center of the screen, saying “Press ESC or double-click to exit full screen mode”

I can see how that’s normally useful, but we’re displaying this in a church (and recording what we’re projecting) - so it’s just distracting and annoying. It would be really useful if this could be optionally disabled. It does go away after a few seconds, but it’s still far from ideal.

Which Desktop Meeting SDK version?

Windows desktop meeting SDK v5.7.6.1079, using the .NET wrapper.

(I can’t update to the latest version of the SDK at the moment due to the removal of user-name/password support, as described here in a post which was unfortunately never answered. I’m sure I’ll need to sort out OAuth at some problem, but I’m delaying that for now…)

To Reproduce

Enter full screen mode using IMeetingUIControllerDotNetWrap.EnterFullScreen (passing in true, false as the method arguments). Observe the overlay that appears.

I can grab a screenshot if it’s absolutely necessary, but I’m pretty sure you’ll immediately know what I mean. See Readings and talks, January 30th 2022 - YouTube for an example of the result - wait a few seconds to see the transition to showing Zoom full screen. (The transition while switching windows is non-ideal as well, but that’s briefer and something I can improve in my software later.)

Device (please complete the following information):

• Device: Windows desktop or laptop

Hi @jonskeet,

I completely understand your use case, but I’m honestly not sure if adding support for something like this would be prioritized by our product team. With this message being displayed very briefly, it is very unlikely that any changes would get approved for it unless we saw a tangible impact on functionality in some way.

The best alternative for this would be to implement a custom meeting UI (which would give you absolute control over the in-meeting UI), but that approach may be a bit too heavyweight for a change this small. Regardless, if you do decide to go down this path we can definitely help answer any questions you may have.

Thanks!

Thanks. I’ve resisted creating a custom meeting UI until now, as I’ve (perhaps incorrectly) got the impression that it’s expected to be created in C++ whereas I’m using C#.

I’ll experiment though - if there’s a way of showing specific bits of the Zoom UI within an existing window, that would solve more problems than just this. Now I just need to find a good block of time to have a crack at it…

Hi @jonskeet,

You definitely can use a custom meeting UI with the C# wrapper. The biggest caveat to be aware of is that the wrapper may not have all of the functions you are looking to use, since it is not actively enhanced. Should you choose to take the approach of trying to implement a custom meeting UI and come across any missing functionality, our documentation has a guide on how to modify the wrapper locally.

I’ll experiment though - if there’s a way of showing specific bits of the Zoom UI within an existing window, that would solve more problems than just this.

In case you aren’t familiar with custom UI mode, enabling it would allow you to go a step further than this. When custom UI mode is enabled, you can define 100% of the appearance and behavior of your meeting UI. This means you could create a Zoom-like experience in some areas, or you could completely simplify the UI to fit your needs perfectly.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.