Request permission to unmute participants

Per this update from Zoom:

August 17, 2020 version 5.2.1 (44052.0816)
Download type: Manual

New and enhanced features

General features
Allow Host to unmute participants using pre-approved consent
The host can schedule meetings and webinars with Request permission to Unmute Participants, which allows participants to pre-approve the host’s ability to unmute them as needed when joining a meeting. This pre-approval will remain in place for all meetings with this host, and can be revoked by the participant at any time.

We cannot find this parameter in the Zoom API documentation. Since it is so new, maybe its not listed. What is the name of this parameter please?

2 Likes

Same question please. This is huge.

1 Like

Hi @pavel @andrew_amann,

Thanks for raising this with us, and great suggestion to add this functionality to the API. While this isn’t in the API quite yet, I’ve raised this feature request with our team. (ZOOM-195331)

You can keep an eye on what we’re implementing here—stay tuned!

Thanks,
Will

1 Like

Here here - please add this to your API. It’s vitally important to some of your customers.

@flourgirl252, Thanks for the feedback—we hear you! We’re intending to include this in a future release. :slight_smile:

1 Like

When? Here’s an example of why this is a huge issue for folks who teach kids on Zoom…From a teacher friend:

Can someone explain the reasoning for doing away with the unmute button? I teach littles and it is very frustrating not to be able to mute them before an activity and then unmuting them afterwards. It now takes so much time! Honestly, sometimes the parents are not even in the room with them or in the room but on their devices, washing dishes whatever it is and it has become a problem since some of the littles do not know how to unmute themselves. If they are registered for a class why would we need parental consent to unmute to talk to the student?

Hi @flourgirl252,

Thanks for sharing this — to clarify, are you referring to this functionality as it relates to the Zoom app on your computer? If so, I should note this thread is specific to the Zoom API. If you’re not referring to the Zoom API, it’s possible this might be an account setting issue, and I would recommend reaching out to Zoom Support.

In terms of the API, I can confirm that this feature request has gained traction and we plan to implement this in a future release. While I can’t provide the exact timing, I can say that it’s on our radar. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Will

No I know it needs to be done through the API. It’s for teachers who teach on an online education platform and so they aren’t scheduling their own meetings (and personal Zoom accounts are not the host - it’s through the API), thus the “Request permission to unmute” feature doesn’t do any good. It definitely needs to be added to the API ASAP :slight_smile:

Hey @flourgirl252,

I see—thank you for clarifying and sharing the importance of this request. We will continue to work with our team on this. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Will

The parameter name seems to be: request_permission_to_unmute_participants

At the time I write this it’s not yet in the API docs, but you see it appear in the JSON response when you create a new meeting.

Thanks for sharing, @BoringUsername. We’re working on releasing this officially soon.

Best,
Will

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.