Restarting camera causes canvas to get stuck in Chrome. But renders when element is inspected

Hi @tommy,

I just found out that restarting the camera causes the canvas to get stuck. But it renders the video as soon as i inspect the canvas element by right clicking in the browser.
This is occurring exclusively in Google Chrome browser. We tested in Firefox and were able to start and stop video several times without getting stuck.

Fully Customizable Web SDK version
v 1.0.0 and 1.0.2

To Reproduce(If applicable)
Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Start the sample instant web sdk in google chrome
  2. Start and stop camera several times. Feed should get stuck.
    3.As soon as the feed gets stuck right click on the canvas and click inspect

Result: As soon as the inspect window opens the canvas starts rendering the video successfully.

Screenshots
Device : Desktop

• Browser: Chrome
  • Browser Version 89.0.4389.82

Additional context
We are integrating instant sdk in angular.

Since majority of users use chrome, it has become a significant issue that may hamper our delivery timeline.
Any assistance in this regard will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Md. Mehedi Hasan

1 Like

Hey @hasan.md ,

Thanks for sharing this with us. We will investigate the bug and work on a fix. (CS-3160) :slight_smile:

-Tommy

Hi @tommy,

Any update on this issue? or any tentative deadline when we can expect a solution to this problem?

Thanks and regards,
Md. Mehedi Hasan

Hey @hasan.md ,

We are still investigating this issue. Appreciate your patience. I will share an update with you once I have one. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Tommy

hi @hasan.md
I had same problem with you.
However I found out that like you mentioned the feed stop getting stucked when you inspect,
for me, I feed stop getting stucked whenever i resize the video canvas.
I used updateVideoCanvasDimension(), and adjustRenderedVideoPosition() to resize.
Another thing you should also know is that it should not resize right after when video is on.
I used timeOut function from 100, 500 but 100~200 does not work very well. But value bigger than 300 worked fine! I think there is some delay problem about this issue.
I don’t know if it only works for me and i know this is not the direct solution, but I hope this helps.

Thanks.

Hey @woasidh1 ,

Thanks for sharing your work around. We are continuing to investigate the issue and will report back once we find the root cause.

Thanks,
Tommy

@woasidh1 Could you provide any more info on this? Are you running both commands, or one/the other? Do you have to actually change the size/position, or can you just pass the current values? I haven’t been able to make this work consistently.

The only thing I’ve found that seems to make the video start back up again is moving the mouse around in the window. It doesn’t even have to be over the canvas, as soon as there is enough mouse movement it will activate the video every time within a few seconds. I haven’t found a way to programmatically work around this, though.

Thanks!

Hey @bekit ,

Just letting you know we are aware of this issue and working to fix it as soon as possible.

You could try a programmatic DOM update of some sort, which seems to fix the camera getting stuck.

Thanks,
Tommy

1 Like

Any update on this issue?

Hey @joshua1 ,

We are working on a fix and will include it in a future release. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Tommy

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.