Start a meeting on behalf of a user - Web SDK with OAuth

Description
I have a use case where we want to set up a meeting inside our website. So for that, we will be using the Web SDK. Based on our research, we have found that through Web SDK, we can allow users to join the meeting but there is no such way to create the meeting using the Web SDK (Correct me if I am wrong).

Issue
So to overcome the above issue, I think we will have to use “meeting create API” (Schedule a meeting) to create the meeting. Here, we will have to ask all our users to set up the OAuth application as we want access token to use while creating a meeting. But again, in order to integrate it within the website, we will have to use the Web SDK. Hence we will have to ask all the users to create the JWT app and provide the API details. Can you please suggest a better workflow? Do we really want to ask users to set up 2 apps one for OAuth and one for JWT? Can’t that be done only using OAuth flow? Is there any way I can use OAuth with Web SDK instead of JWT?

Here, upon creation of the meeting, how can the creator (The users of my website) of the meeting, start a meeting inside the website? I can see that this API returns start URL. But I believe that’s the URL to open the website in browser and not inside the website.

Basically, we want to enable the users to start the meeting from inside the website and the external users will be using their own Zoom to connect.

Ex. I am a user and I have created the meeting using https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/api-reference/zoom-api/meetings/meetingcreate. Now, how can I start a meeting on my website? The meeting interface should open up on my website. May be in iframe.

Which version?
Latest version

I am really confused about the workflow setup. So in short, I want to enable the feature for my users to create a meeting(Schedule a meeting), start it from inside the website and all external users will use their own Zoom client/browsers.

Please suggest me a better workflow for my use-case. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hey @mayank.patel,

We discourage asking customers to share their JWT Credentials with developers.

I do see the headache here how you can’t use OAuth to start meetings for a user via the Web SDK since the Web SDK can only start meetings owned by the same account as the JWT App.

I will share this feedback with our team and see if we can expand the Web SDK authentication to allow authorized users to start their own meetings. (CS-2206)

In the meantime, I suggest having the host of the meeting start the meeting via the start_url and Zoom App, and then have the other participants join via the Web SDK.

Because currently you can join meetings with the Web SDK, but you can only start meetings owned by the Web SDK owner.

Thanks,
Tommy

2 Likes

Thank you for your response @tommy. I understood your points. In my case, users (are the host) needs to start the meeting from my website and all other participants are external users so other participants need to join meeting wither from Zoom app or from browser. But the host has to start meeting using the Web SDK. So I feel, all my users (Hosts) can only start the meeting after creating the JWT from within the website. I believe that’s not a good idea to ask all users to create the JWT app and share API keys.

Like you said “you can only start meetings owned by the Web SDK owner”, let’s assume I own the Web SDK, and I want to start the meeting using Web SDK from my website, how can I do it? I have created the meeting using the Zoom API. How can I start that meeting from the website using Web SDK? In the sample zoom app, I can see that I can join the meeting by entering the meeting ID and password. But unable to find a way to start meeting using Web SDK? Can you guide me, please?

Hey @mayank.patel,

If you or a user on your Zoom account owns the meeting (is the host of the meeting) then you can pass in role 1 when generating the signature and start the meeting. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Tommy

@tommy I have same issue. Please check this asap. Thanks.

@someone Thanks for jumping in!

If you’re experiencing the same issue described here, know that we are working on improving this experience and have shared feedback with our team to be able to expand the capabilities of the Web SDK authentication flow.

In the meantime, I’d recommend following Tommy’s workaround described above.

If you’re running into another issue, don’t hesitate to let us know!

Best,
Will

Hey, Will, Toomy,

Appreciate the zoom dev team is working on expanding the capabilities. Though it seems to be a big gap to support certain use cases through WebSDK. Do you guys have any timeline for this capability to be in place please?

-Saurabh

Hey @saurabhpandey0,

We do not have any public timelines yet, but once we do, they will be posted here:

Thanks,
Tommy

I am really hoping to get the ability to use OAuth to start meetings for a user via the Web SDK. Because I can’t really ask all my users to share their JWT Credentials.

Apart from this, is there any way I can start the meeting using back-end Zoom API through OAuth credentials?

Lastly, is there any way I can sync meeting events to the Outlook/Google Calendar? Or maybe send out Event notification over email (Which will sync event to calendar) to the Organiser and Attendees?

Thank you in advance!

Hey @mayank.patel,

Yep, we are working to develop this as soon as possible. :slight_smile:

Yes! Just have the user navigate to the start_url, which will start the meeting.

Currently we do not have an email or calendar API, feel free to use a third party service to do this, or submit a feature request here: Feature Requests

Thanks,
Tommy

1 Like

Hey, upon registering the attendees to the meeting using the following API, it will send an email to Registrants including join URL. Correct?

As I can see in the actual Zoom meeting create the interface, Organizer gets the options to add it to the calendar. For Outlook Calendar, it download’s the Invite file (invite.ics). By any chance, I can generate the ICS file using API?

Thank you.

Hey @mayank.patel,

Correct! :slight_smile:

You will have to generate this via a 3rd party calendar service. Zoom does not have an ICS or Calendar API.

Thanks,
Tommy

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.