Usage reports started showing encoded emails

Yesterday (2020-07-26), for the first time I received a recording.complete webhook with encoded emails. Something like

I see the same behavior when I go to Active Host | Usage reports.

I found this post saying that this was the default back in April, but I’ve been handling webhooks for months and this is the first time this has happened.

These are my questions:

  1. Did I misconfigure something?

  2. Is there a way to go back to plain emails?

  3. If not, is there a way to decode the emails?

  4. If not, is there a way I can go the other way and encode the email address I have so they match the encoded ones?

We noticed the same issue- hashed email addresses in the attendance report API (/v2/report/meetings/{{webinarId}}/participants).

This is breaking our integration since we used the email to link the registered participant with the attended participant; the participantID cannot be trusted for match (sometimes it’s blank and sometimes its the attendee’s private zoom account id, which does not match participantID returned in registration response)

Can we disable this feature in the account?

1 Like

It seems this has been fixed for new meetings. Do you see plain emails now?

I wish someone from Zoom would confirm/explain these changes. :sweat_smile:

Thanks Nacho for updating the thread,
Yes, attendance for meetings that have happened yesterday onwards are showing plain text emails. Attendance re-pull for the meetings that had hashed emails, still show hashed emails. Looks like content is cached and caches are not refreshed.

That’s correct.

Several months ago, all my users appeared with ** at the end of their names (Jo** Smi**) and at some point it went back to normal, but those never went away. 🤷🏻‍♂

Hey @nacho, @smachado,

The participant email being encoded should be fixed now.

Please let me know if you are still seeing the issue. (ZOOM-180418)


1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.