UUID gets changed

I am developing a web app that has some integration with Zoom. One of the tasks it does is periodically fetch a list of zoom meetings. Recently, I have found a really weird thing. For example:

1. I schedule a meeting for, say, 3:00 PM
  2. Fetch the meeting’s details (uuid is one of them);
  3. I start this meeting at 2:00 PM, and then, no matter after how long, I end it, so it’s still scheduled
  4. I fetch the meeting’s details again, and to my surprise, UUID is different.

How so?

Before I found it, I hoped to create a table where I’d store info about the application’s users and those UUIDs. That would help me distinguish between which meetings a user is intended to attend.

I also thought that those UUID changes are shown by meeting-updated-webhooks, but it is not.

Hey @i_maxim, thanks for posting and using Zoom!

The UUID is changing because after the meeting happens, a new UUID is assigned so you know the difference between the meeting that happened and the meeting that hasn’t happened yet.

Check out this thread for more details:

Let me know if this helps!

Thanks,
Tommy

Thanks for the answer, Tommy. I’ve just read the link attached. I understood the behavior of UUID field, ok.

I’m interested in non-recurring meetings.

But what if someone’s intention is to track connections between their app’s users and meetings they want to attend? As I found out UUID cannot be relied on because if we store locally the user ids and UUIDs, and, say, the host hits “start meeting” by mistake, and then ends it, all those users lose the meetings the were applied for.

I’m curious what about Meeting ID? Is this kind of identification field really unique, or there’s a chance that a meeting id that I store today might be assigned to one of the meetings in the future? As I see and feel it, the Meeting ID is not unique because of the number of digits in it (9) and number of Zoom users and their meetings across the world.

Happy to help @i_maxim!

If the user mistakenly starts the meeting, then ends it, the meeting UUID remains the same for the meeting that you want to start in the future. It only changes for the instance of the meeting that happened so you can get the past meeting details from the dashboard and report APIs.

The meeting ID is a good way to figure out the instance of the meeting you are looking for. Although, meeting IDs are not unique and can be reused in the future.

You can also use our webhooks where you can get live data based on what is happening with your meetings:

Thanks,
Tommy