Understanding Meeting IDs and Meeting UUIDs with me

Hi all and welcome to: Understanding (insert topic) with me!!!

I am so excited to start these series of posts that I am working on, mainly topics that come to my mind while using all our Developer Tools! Please leave any comments on what you would like to learn/understand with me! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Understanding Meeting ID and Meeting UUID with me

When a meeting is created, Zoom generates a meeting ID associated with an instant or scheduled meeting. Each ID number is individual to each meeting that is created.

A unique meeting UUID is also generated and this number will be associated with a specific instance of the meeting.

Meeting ID= meeting number
Meeting UUID= unique meeting ID, instance of a meeting

Each instance of a meeting will have it’s own, unique meeting UUID. Once a meeting is held under a given meeting ID, the past instance of the meeting will remain the same and a new meeting UUID will be generated for the next instance of the meeting.

When to use/query with the meeting ID vs meeting UUID?

Use cases for meeting ID

• To query general data of a meeting
  • When we do not know the meeting uuid
  • When the meeting is a single occurrence

Use cases for meeting UUID

• To query specific instances of a meeting
  • Used for APIs which return data on specific instances
  • When we know for sure the meeting happened more than once

Are meeting IDs and UUIDs interchangeable?
No, they are not. A meeting can have many instances but an instance can only belong to the same meeting. Relationship one to many, many to one

Why does uuid exist?
So we can have new instances of a meeting that are unique and we can differentiate them from one another

Meeting IDs expire 30 days after the last time they were used/held, what about meeting uuids?
Meeting uuids don’t expire as long as data access remains valid (meeting is deleted)

4 Likes

@elisa.zoom , this tripped me up when I began exploring the Zoom APIs :rofl:

Something else I used to forget was double encoding my meeting uuids when they start with “/” or contain “//”.

I also saw some sample code from a Zoom developer who doubled encoded the meeting uuid programmatically using javascript for a request to PATCH /meetings/{meetingId}/recordings/settings:

Thanks for sharing this for our community :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @gianni.zoom!
And yes! We have to pay attention to the meeting uuids and make sure to double encode them if they start with ‘/’ or contain ‘//’ :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Q, if one starts an instant meeting with PMI (not scheduled), - how can I get the meeting instanceID (without WebHooks)? There doesn’t seem to be any filter in getPastMeetings which lists the meeting instances

Hi @ajay.prabhakaran

Great question! You can actually call the List meetings endpoint and pass a query parameter type=scheduled on your request (this value includes all valid past meetings).

In your response you will get an array of meetings and if any of those meetings was scheduled under your PMI, you will see it in the response body like so

Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 3.37.22 PM

Hope this helps!
Elisa

Thanks that helps, but not completely.

It is possible to further filter it by start_time/topic…etc? Basically, if a user scheduled a meeting directly with Zoom or through any other channel using PMI, I want to get to the generated meetingID (id field returned in this response) so I can query the instances using the meeting id/uuid

Hey @ajay.prabhakaran,

We don’t have a built-in method to filter the results but this can be done on the client side. If you would like this feature to be considered for a future release, I recommend posting in the #feature-requests category.

Thanks,
Max

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hola a todos y bienvenidos a: Entendiendo (“inserta un tema”) conmigo!!!

Hace un tiempo, comencé esta serie de publicaciones con el fin de compartir con desarrolladores de la comunidad, temas que voy aprendiendo y entendiendo en mi día a día.

Mientras redactaba una publicación me pregunte a mí misma y por qué no hacerlo en Español? y bueno no solo porque es que es mi idioma natal, si no también por el gran número de Desarrolladores de habla Hispana que son parte de esta comunidad y que estoy segura que todos nos vamos a beneficiar con esto!

¡Por favor, deje cualquier comentario sobre lo que le gustaría aprender/comprender conmigo!

Entendiendo el ID y el UUID de las reuniones conmigo.

Cuando se crea una reunión, Zoom genera un ID de reunión asociado con la misma, ya sea una reunión instantánea o programada/agendada. Cada ID generado es individual para cada reunión que se crea.

Pero también se genera un UUID de reunión único y este número se asociará con una instancia específica de la reunión.

ID de reunión = número de reunión
UUID de reunión = ID de reunión única, instancia de una reunión

Es importante tener en cuenta que con cada instancia de una reunión se generará un UUID. Una vez que se lleva a cabo una reunión asociada con cierto ID, la instancia anterior de la reunión (el UUID) seguirá siendo la misma y se generará un nuevo UUID para la siguiente instancia.

¿Cómo saber si debo usar el ID o el UUID cuando utilizamos las APIS de Zoom?

Puedes utilizar el ID cuando:
Quieras consultar datos generales de una reunión
No conocemos el uuid de la reunión
La reunión es una sola instancia (no es recurrente)

Puedes utilizar el UUID cuando:
Quieras consultar instancias específicas de una reunión
Se utiliza para las API que generan data en instancias específicas
Cuando sabemos con seguridad que la reunión se llevó a cabo más de una vez
Siempre que utilices un UUID para hacer llamadas a la API, toma en cuenta que si comienza con un “/” o contiene “//”, se debe hacer un double encoding (codificación doble) del mismo para no tener errores en la llamada.

¿Los ID y UUID son intercambiables?
No, no lo son. Una reunión puede tener muchas instancias (muchos UUIDs asociados), pero una instancia solo puede pertenecer a una reunión (ID).

¿Entonces para qué existen los uuid?
Para poder diferenciar las diferentes instancias de una reunión

Los ID de reunión caducan 30 días después de la última vez que se usaron/realizaron, ¿qué pasa con los uuid de reunión?
Los UUID de la reunión no caducan mientras la reunión no haya sido eliminada.

Gracias por leer y nos vemos a la próxima.

Saludos!!!
Elisa