Video struck using background effects in video call Zoom iOS Meeting SDK

Description
In a video call using latest iOS SDK 5.15.10, using background effects is causing issue with video. In the call when the video is enabled, normal video is working fine. When a user tries to apply background effects like Blur or another image, the video freezes at that moment and remains like that until the user turns back to normal video.

Which iOS Meeting SDK version?

To Reproduce(If applicable)
Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Create or Join a meeting
  2. Make sure that the video is enabled
  3. Go to ‘…’ more button, select “Background & Effects”
  4. Select ‘Blur’ and observe that the video freezes.
    Please check where is the issue. will you release new sdk after resolved this issue? or Please suggest…
1 Like

Hey, @ashish.tiwari,

Welcome and thank you for posting in the Developer Forum. We appreciate you bringing this behavior to our attention. Could you please let us know if this issue occurs consistently? Additionally, could you provide details about the iOS device you are using and whether it is up to date? I would like to gather this information so that I can test it on my end and see if I can reproduce the behavior.

I am looking forward to hearing back from you!

Hi Donte,
Here below i am sharing information which you have asked for.
1- this issue occurs consistently - Every time i am facing this issue.

2- iOS device you are using and whether it is up to date -Test on iPhone 13 and iOS version 16.3

Thanks
Ashish Tiwari

Thanks for your response! Could you also share a screenshot of the behavior so that I can have a visual understanding of what you are seeing?

This is what is occuring.

Yes. this is the issue. When a user tries to apply background effects like Blur or another image, the video freezes at that moment and remains like that until the user turns back to normal video or turn back to none.

Thanks for reporting this behavior, @ashish.tiwari, and @scot.powers. I will take a look and file a ticket on my end if reproducible.

@ashish.tiwari, @scot.powers ,

Thank you for posting in the Developer Forum. It looks like you are testing with an older version of the SDK 5.15.10. We recommend starting by testing with the latest version of the iOS SDK v5.16.1.10538. By doing so, you can ensure that you are using the most up-to-date version with all the bug fixes and improvements that have been implemented since your version. To perform the test, you can utilize our Sample Web App, which is designed to help verify if the issue you are experiencing persists with the latest SDK version.

It’s important to note that there have been multiple bug fixes released since the version of the SDK you are currently using. Therefore, testing with the latest version will give you the opportunity to confirm if the issue has been resolved or if there are any new improvements that can address your concerns.

If you encounter any further issues or have any questions during the testing process, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us for further assistance.

Hi Donte,
I have updated latest iOS SDK v5.16.1.10538 as you suggested. after that I am facing same stuck issue such as When a user tries to apply background effects like Blur or another image, the video freezes at that moment and remains like that until the user turns back to normal video or turn back to none. Please resolved this issue on priority. Not resolved in your latest zoom sdk’s.
Thanks
Ashish Tiwari

Hi Donte,
I have updated latest iOS Meeting SDK v5.16.1.10538 as you suggested. after that I am facing same stuck issue such as When a user tries to apply background effects like Blur or another image, the video freezes at that moment and remains like that until the user turns back to normal video or turn back to none. Please resolved this issue on priority. Not resolved in your latest zoom sdk’s.

@ashish.tiwari,
Thanks for the update! I will look into this on my end and submit a bug ticket if needed.

Hi Donte,
Any update on this…

Thanks
Ashish Tiwari

@ashish.tiwari and @scot.powers ,

I just tested this on my end, and it seems that the screen freezes the first time you add the background. However, everything works fine after that. Does this issue impact the user experience you intend to provide?

Hi,
This is the issue it should not come once or everytime. User is being affected. So please resolved this issue asap. This issue is not occurring on your zoom app. So why this occurring on your ios meeting SDK.

Hi, @ashish.tiwari.
Thank you for your feedback! I appreciate your input and want you to know that we value your experience.

Our engineering team is aware of the video processing behavior that may cause freezing during the initial load. Rest assured, this is a normal behavior that we are actively working on improving.

Your feedback helps us identify areas for enhancement, and we are committed to providing a seamless user experience. If you have any further questions or concerns, please let me know.

Hi Donte,
When will this problem be fixed. Please provide expected time.

Thanks
Ashish Tiwari

I’m not sure about this being normal behavoir. The video screen freezes when any user attempts to change their background to blur or change to another background. Any updates?

@scot.powers ,
It is expected/known behavior that the screen may freeze on the initial load. If you like to share feedback on this, please share it here :

Thank you Donte - I am not sure if the feedback should go another place? My comment is regarding this topic and trouble. Checking again on this issue again today, the freeze occurs every time I try to change or blur my background and I am not able to change it at all. That is what Ashish and I are looking for an update on.

@scot.powers ,

I have tested this on my end, but I am still unable to reproduce the case where the freeze occurs consistently. Could you please test with the latest version SDK v5.16.5.11131 and share a screen recording if the behavior is still happening consistently? I have already shared this with the engineering team, and they mentioned that it may occur during the initial load, which is expected behavior. I understand that it is not ideal if the freeze happens every time you try to change or blur the background, preventing you from making any changes. I am happy to test this again on my end and provide a video of the behavior I see during my testing.