Web SDK - Create and start a meeting for a user using OAuth

Description
We want to set up meetings from our web app; using Zoom Web SDK we are able to join any meeting, but we are not able to create new meetings for users.

We have created an app and got the keys that needs to be used to initialize the Web SDK, with those the app owner is able to create/join/host a meeting from our app. We want all our users to create/join/host a meeting inside our app using the web SDK; for which we understood that we need to pass the keys that are generated by individual users from their accounts. We have OAuth integrated into our web app, so users were able to login to zoom and with those oauth tokens we were able to hit “create meeting API” and get the meeting urls. But to start/host those meetings it is not working. The issue here is we are passing SDK key and secret of our account, which we need to replace with each respective users data who is trying to host the meet. But for achieving that we have to ask each user to setup/create SDK app and share the SDK key and secret, which wont be a possibility here.
Basically, we want our users to authenticate using OAuth and start using meetings feature like create/join/host etc everything from our web app itself.
Is this support available in the current Web SDK i.e. just by using OAuth can I achieve all the meeting functionalities.

Please let me know if there is something else I can do to get this working as I expect.

Hi @Sushanth,

Thanks for reaching out about this, and happy to help clarify.

To that end, I should note that our Web SDK currently only supports JWT Authorization. OAuth is not currently started for creating or starting meetings on behalf of users outside of the JWT app owner’s account.

This means that if you wish to create meetings to be hosted/started by users outside of the account under which you’ve generated your JWT credentials, you would need to provision users for those individuals under your own account. You could then start the meeting under that user under your own account.

But to clarify, we don’t currently support OAuth Authorization for our Web SDK, though it’s something we hope to support at some point in the future.

I hope this helps to clarify, but let me know if you have questions about this.

Thanks,
Will

Hi @will.zoom , thanks for the reply.
Ours is a SAAS based product, any user can login to our web app using different SSO logins and use our meeting feature. We wont be able to add all individual users into our own account for provisioning them to host/create a meeting.

Users will login to our web app then they will link their zoom accounts using OAuth. Using the access token we got we are able to create a meeting using create meeting API. But now the user want to start that meeting from our app using the Web SDK inside our app, this is not working/is possible now with the current Web SDK.
Is there any other way to get this done using the current SDK; how about ZAK tokens support for Web SDK, I see the support was there earlier but not yet extended into Web SDK.

Hi @Sushanth,

Thanks for the reply and the additional context!

At this time, we don’t have a supported method for external users (external to the Zoom account the JWT App belongs to) starting meetings via the Web SDK. This is, however, something we hope to support in the future. Our Web SDK does not support the ZAK token for users starting the meeting, either.

I realize this is not the ideal experience, and it’s a pain point that is on our radar—and while I know this suggestion is likely what you’re hoping to hear, I should note that the recommended workaround for this in the meantime is to have someone under your account start the meeting and then have users join via the Web SDK.

Having said all this, I certainly appreciate the feedback—if you’re so inclined, I might also suggest submitting an official feature request for supporting OAuth/additional authentication methods for our Web SDK here: #feature-requests

Thanks,
Will

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.