Web SDK - Use a logging framework (winston for example)

This is for developer-specific feature requests. For other requests please contact our customer support team.

Is your feature request related to a problem? Please describe.
The Web SDK is writing useful debugging information on the console output (on client browser). Unfortunately, it’s not easy to find a monitoring solution to get these information and centralize it.

Describe the solution you’d like
Instead of using console.log() in javascript, and since you are already including javascript framework dependencies (Node modules), is it possible for you to use a logging framework (winston for example, pretty common and good library) ?
This would enable use to automatically get all logs provided by such library (by doing instrumentation) with our monitoring solution (Datadog) and thefore be able to debug situation happening on client side.
This would also enable us to provide you more useful information on client side when we report bugs.

Describe alternatives you’ve considered
We were waiting for our monitoring solution (Datadog) to cover console.log() sniffing functionalities to be able to catch and store Zoom Web SDK logs, but this is the wrong way to do because console.log() can include many unnecessary logs coming from any libraries prompting / using console.log().
The usage of a proper logging library by Zoom would solve this issue in an easier and better way.

UP

I don’t understand, you recently pushed a “new” logger customization on the Web SDK, but obviously it’s still just using console.log instead of using a proper logging library.

Using a logging framework, you would let your customers choose where to render your logs (on the console, forwarded to a monitoring platform like datadog for example, or both)

I cannot understand why such an easy feature request has not been considered yet (it probably take maximum 2 hours for one of your developer to include a dependency on a logging framework and search & replace your console call.

@nvivot

Just a heads up, I haven’t forgotten that you were looking to have this reviewed. To be frank, I’ve had to push this to the bottom of my queue lately due to other issues but I have a reminder to get to this ASAP.

Thanks,
Max

Hi Max,

Understood, thanks

Hey @nvivot,

Thanks again for your patience on this. I’m not seeing any reason that we wouldn’t be able to implement a feature like this and I think it would be really valuable for our team. I’ve started a discussion with our internal team and submitted a feature request directly with engineering.

I’ll let you know when I hear more about if/when this can be implemented. (ZOOM-285698)

Thanks,
Max

1 Like

UP

This is more than required.

You output tons of logs (sometime useless, sometime not), especially logs like your SDK is going to be destroyed.
This is very important for us to be able to forward it to our monitoring platforms.

Currently you are doing “console.log” everywhere and this is difficult to catch from for example the Datadog browser log library.

Instead of using “console.log”, could you please use a logging framework (winston for example), with:

• a default configuration outputting to the console
  • a way for us to easily override that configuration to customize the logger (and eventually redirect that to another logging library supported by our monitoring libraries)

Winston is already supported by most of the monitoring libraries, therefore i took it as an example.

1 Like

@MaxM @donte.zoom

Can we know if you got that mentioned discussion in your teams by any chance ?
Is this something you can put in your schedule for a future release ?

We are open to discussion if you want to have a meeting to explain the need & so on. This kind of feature should not be hard to add on your SDK and would benefit to both Zoom and your customers (us) as it would ease debugging.

Feel free to contact us.

Hi @MaxM,

Do you have any updates regarding this request?

Thanks,
Lara