Web Video SDK Minutes - What are session minutes

I’ve seen a few people in these forums and other places ask the question "In the Web Video SDK, what are minutes defined as? Do minutes count the session time, regardless of how many participants join (max 300 from the marketing)? Or, on the contrary, the minutes depend on the number of participants?

Example: A 45 minute session with 20 participants, does that count for 45 minutes? Or does it count for 45*20 = 900 minutes?

Thank you.

1 Like

Hi @multivirtuel,

Zoom has not yet released their official pricing documentation, however an example can be found below.

A 60 minute session with 100 participants would be 60*100 = 6000 minutes.

Then, multiply this by the Video SDK’s current price of $0.0035 and you get $21. Bare in mind that you will also receive 10k or 30k free minutes each month, depending on which plan you choose.

Session Length (Minutes) x Number of Participants x Cost per Minute = Cost for Session.

Thanks,
Alex

@tommy when it is released, it would be great if there could be a cost calculator added to the Documentation. Various other providers do this, and it will show just how cheap Zoom is compared to them.

1 Like

Hey @alexmayo ,

Thanks for providing the pricing information. (Zoom Developer Solutions)

Also, thanks for your cost calculator suggestion, we will look into adding this.

Let us know if you have additional questions @multivirtuel .

-Tommy

Hi alexmayo,

Thank you for providing the example, however, if you aren’t part of Zoom staff, how can I be sure your example is the correct one, and it isn’t simply Session Length (Minutes) x Cost per Minute = Cost for Session?

I’ve not found one single official Zoom document or page stating this is how it works.

No problem at all.

@tommy will be able to confirm if my example above is correct. Every single Video SDK I can think of charges in this way, so I would be surprised if Zoom did it any differently.

I agree that some clear information is needed, hopefully we’ll get clarification soon.

Thanks,
Alex

True, the others do this as you describe, making Zoom’s pricing and pricing model pretty much the same (first competitor I checked was the same price and per-participant). Zoom Video SDK could be a game changer and disruptive, opening up new opportunities, but if the price and model is the same, well, how is that going to happen. The Zoom Client SDKs is an order of magnitude cheaper, but the UI isn’t fully customizable.

There are clues that participants don’t count in the Video SDK. For example, in the dashboard of an account that has the pay-as-you-go Video SDK license, the dashboard says: “10,000 meeting minutes left.” – The terminology ‘meeting minutes’ (and also ‘session minutes’ elsewhere) is not exactly what I’d expect if it counted participants. So I just want to be sure :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very true, and not something I picked up on. I’m going to be playing with the Video SDK soon anyway, so I’ll do some tests to try and determine if it’s counting participants or not. That is, if Zoom don’t release further pricing info :slight_smile:

Hey @alexmayo , @multivirtuel ,

Just letting you know I am gathering these details and will be sharing them as soon as I can.

We will also update our docs etc. to make the meeting minutes definition more clear. :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Tommy

1 Like

Hey @alexmayo , @multivirtuel ,

Meeting minutes = session time x number of participants.

Example 1. If five (5) end users participate in a 10 minute meeting session through Customer’s application, then fifty (50) total Meeting Session Minutes will be used. Partial minutes used are rounded up.

Example 2. If there are 5 participants for a one hour meeting, it would be `60 minutes x 5 = 300 meeting minutes. So pricing for this (without the 10K free meeting minutes a month) would be 300 x $0.0035 = $1.05.

Does that clear things up? :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Tommy

2 Likes

Perfect! Thank you :pray:

2 Likes

You are welcome! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.