Webinar Report - participant duration without waiting period

Using this template helps us debug your issues more effectively :slight_smile:

Description
It seems like the Webinar Report includes time spent in the waiting room when it calculates duration. Is there a way to retrieve the actual duration in the webinar/meeting for each participant after they were allowed in the call?

Error
No error message, but duration spent in the waiting room is returned in the response

Which App Type (OAuth / Chatbot / JWT / Webhook)?
OAuth

Which Endpoint/s?
https://api.zoom.us/v2/report/webinars

How To Reproduce (If applicable)
Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Request URL / Headers (without credentials) / Body
  2. See error

Screenshots (If applicable)
If applicable, add screenshots to help explain your problem.

Additional context
Add any other context about the problem here.

Hey @meetings_gutenbergce,

Thank you for reaching out to the Zoom Developer Forum. Good question! Just to confirm, are you referring to meetings instead of Webinars? Webinars don’t have a Waiting Room feature.

However, It doesn’t look like we have a method to obtain the participant duration for a meeting that excludes the time spent in the waiting room.

You could use our meeting.participant_put_in_waiting_room and meeting.participant_left_waiting_room to ascertain how long a participant was in the waiting room.

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Max

Hi Max,

Thank you for your reply, it does explain the Meetings side. For Webinars however we see reports where some of the attendees have the duration longer than the duration of webinar host, with join time before the webinar start time. I guess we will need to apply the same logic you suggested for meetings in the case of webinars as well?

Thank you,
Marius
Gutenberg Certs

Hey @meetings_gutenbergce,

Thank you for the update. I think what’s happening here is that those users clicked the join URL early and are seeing the dialog that says “Waiting for Host to Start the Webinar” or something similar but Zoom still counts their join time.

One method, when it comes to webinars, is to get the participant join_time from the Get Webinar Participants Report API and compare that to the actual start_time of the webinar:

I hope that helps! :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks,
Max

1 Like

Hi Max,

thank you, will do that.

Marius @ Gutenberg Certs

2 Likes

Great! I’m glad that was helpful. I’ll go ahead and close this topic now but feel free to open a new topic if you encounter any further issues or questions.

Thanks,
Max

1 Like