What happened to the role of 5?

Description
I have a Web SDK app that has been dormant for about a year. It was targeting v1.8.5 and I just updated it to v1.9.9. I started getting an error “Joining meeting timeout - Fail to join the meeting.” I managed to track this down to the fact that in the call to ZoomMtg.generateSignature I was passing a role of 5 but the SDK only supports 1 for meeting host, 0 for participants & joining webinars. I was using 5 because in 1.8.5 it allowed me to join the meeting as host but not be visible to other participants. My question is, when was support for this removed? I looked through the changelog and saw no mention of it. Is there any alternative way to accomplish this? It’s something that we’d really like to be able to do. Thanks.

Which Web Meeting SDK version?

To Reproduce(If applicable)
When calling ZoomMtg.generateSignature, pass 5 as the role. This worked in v1.8.5 but not v1.9.9.

Device (please complete the following information):

• Device: PC
  • Browser: Chrome
  • Browser Version 94.0.4606.81

Hey @frank.hoffman,

Thank you for reaching out to the Zoom Developer Forum. My understanding is that you should still be able to join a Webinar as an assistant.

Please submit a ticket and include a link to this thread as well as the signature where you saw this. You can submit a ticket by navigating to our Developer Support Center.

Thanks,
Max

Thanks I’ll do that. In my case I’ll be joining a meeting and not a webinar though.

Hey @frank.hoffman,

Sorry for the misinformation here but I was able to confirm with our team that we have indeed removed the role of 5 from the Web SDK.

Thanks,
Max

Hello why has this been removed ? it was very practical and can this role be used in other SDKs ?

thanks

Hey @logoforyouimake,

My understanding is that this feature is not available in any of our SDKs. We made this change to prevent users from joining the meeting without the knowledge of other participants.

Thanks,
Max

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.