What is showPureSharingContent for?

Description
We would just like to know what should we see when we set showPureSharingContent to false and vice versa. What should change on user’s screen? We have tried setting it to true and false but we did not see any difference maybe we are looking at the wrong one or we are doing it wrong or we need to change something on the settings first before we can use it.

Which version?
Web SDK 1.9.1

Hey @lfrancia,

My understanding is that this setting prevents the speaker view from covering shared screen content. This is specifically useful on mobile devices where you have limited screen space and the webcam is overlapping the shared screen.

This is enabled by default but if you are seeing that shared screen content is too small because of this setting, you can disable it.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Max

Hi @MaxM,

Thank you for your explanation.

However, I really don’t see any difference between setting showPureSharingContent (tried both on init and showPureSharingContent()) to false and true. When setting it to false, the video thumbnails will be still shown on top of the shared screen content on the receiving side as same when it is set to true.

Could you please confirm?

Regards,
Lara

Hey @lfrancia,

Thank you for confirming that. I tested this on my end and saw the same behavior. I’ve since reached out to our engineering team to see if they are able to provide insight.

I’ll update you here when I have more information.

Thanks,
Max

1 Like

Hey @lfrancia,

Thank you for your patience. Our engineering team got back to me and informed me that this feature is actually intended to stop the video capture of the current user. This will ensure that they are only rendering their shared content instead of also broadcasting their camera.

When testing this again, I saw that the functionality worked as expected. Please test and confirm that this function works on your end as well.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Max

Hi @MaxM ,

Thank you. If that is the spec of that method, then that is not what we need. We just wanted to have more space for the shared screen content. With SDK 1.9.1, we noticed there is less space (users video thumbnails are shown on top) for shared screen content unless the user enable full screen mode. If you know of a way to do that, could you please let us know.

Regards,
Lara

Hey @lfrancia,

If you are looking to make more space for the Screen Share content with the Web SDK, the best option is to minimize the Speaker Webcam Preview.

As we can see here, the shared screen is too small:

By clicking the minimize button, we can get more space for the shared screen at the cost of the Speaker Webcam Preview:

I’ve spoken with our engineering team previously and this functionality is by design to ensure that the speaker view on mobile does not overlap with with shared screen.

Let me know if that helps.

Thanks,
Max

@MaxM
Thank you for the feedback, so this is more a mobile option than a web sdk one. Understood.

Sorry to jump into another topic, speaking about the mobile SDK.

Do you have a way to deactivate the meeting info popup from the SDK ? On the Web SDK we hide it with CSS, but this is something we cannot do with the mobile version.

If there is currently no way to hide it with the mobile SDK, could you please create a feature request to provide it ?

We don’t want our clients be able to find the meeting url & other data that they could potentially share.

Hi @MaxM ,

Thank you again for your reply.

Actually, my question was for Web SDK and not mobile sdk. This is how it looks like if I set showPureSharingContent to true. It is the same when I set it to false.

We wanted to show it like one of these.

[1.9.1 on full screen]

[1.8.6 not full screen]

As you can see they both have bigger space for shared screen content.

So, we are wondering if it is possible to do it on 1.9.1.

Regards,
Lara

Hey @lfrancia,

I appreciate the detailed update, that definitely helps me to understand what you’re referring to.

My screenshots were actually of the Web SDK, just on a mobile device. It looks like I misunderstood what you were referring to though.

Try calling the showPureSharingContent() function as follows from the browser tab of the user screen sharing and you should see that their video is stopped.

ZoomMtg.showPureSharingContent({
        show: true
 });

You can enter that function directly into the browser console to test the functionality.

Understood. I tested this some more and saw that while it’s possible for the Host to see this view, it doesn’t look like it’s possible for attendees to see that view without using the Fullscreen view - as you mentioned.

Looking at the Web SDK reference, it doesn’t look like we have a function to control this behavior either.

If you would like this view to be reconsidered for a future release you can post in the Feature Requests category. From there, our engineering team can evaluate adding it back. Alternatively, a good feature request may be to have a function to control this view.

I hope that helps!

Thanks,
Max

Hi @MaxM ,

Thank you so much for taking time to explain it me.
Now I understand its behavior.

I also understand that our desired behavior is not possible with the current web sdk version 1.9.1.

Thank you again! I really appreciate it.

Regards,
Lara

1 Like

Awesome, I’m really glad to hear that was helpful! I’ll go ahead and close this topic now but feel free to open a new topic if you encounter any further issues or questions.

Max