Will application audio ever be supported in Android?

Description
In this post, Is it possible to share audio along with video in android, the limitation on the Android SDK sharing application audio was confirmed. I read this as a result of some constraint of either Android itself or the Zoom Android SDK, but that it could potentially change in the future.

Can we get some clarity on that? 1) Is it an Android limit or a Zoom SDK limit, 2) Are there known plans and timelines to get it added?

We are embedding the SDK into a mobile device app which incorporates quite a bit of application audio and we would like to stream both that channel and the vox into the meeting audio.

Which version?
v2

To Reproduce(If applicable)
N/A

Screenshots
N/A

Smartphone (please complete the following information):

• Device: many, including Vuzix M400
  • Version 8.1

Additional context
The application runs on many Android devices, with the primary choice of smart glasses. It uses camera streaming, vox, application audio to instruct and execute a workforce. The Zoom SDK will allow remote presence to share the PoV experience over a Zoom meeting.

Hi @david.erickson, thanks for using the dev forum!

Is it an Android limit or a Zoom SDK limit

The short answer is it’s a little bit of both.

It is technically possible to share device audio from an Android device through the AudioPlaybackCapture API. However, this was only recently added to the Android platform in Android 10 (API level 30), meaning very few users would be able to access this feature.

Are there known plans and timelines to get it added?

I can’t say for certain, but you’re more than welcome to suggest this over in Feature Requests!

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick, complete and clear answer. For my first post to this forum, that made a great impression!

1 Like