Zoom Linux SDK 5.16.10 startRawRecording without recording token

Format Your New Topic as Follows:

Meeting SDK Type and Version
Zoom Meeting SDK Linux- version 5.16.10

Description
Hi Team, We’re currently in the process of building a bot utilizing the Zoom Linux SDK to facilitate joining meetings and accessing raw video and audio data from participants.

Below are the steps we’ve followed to achieve this functionality:

1. Initialize the SDK
  2. Authenticate the SDK with JWT token
  3. Fetch the local recording token from Zoom APIs using a Oauth access token
  4. Set the recording token in sdk config.txt
  5. Starting raw recording

Questions
Question 1:
Is it possible to still get the raw video and audio of the participants without using local recoding token while joining as a guest?

Question 2:
If bot joins a where I am not the host of the meeting but a participant, will the bot still able to recording the meeting using my local recording token?

How To Reproduce
N/A

@striver.strikes, to answer your questions:

Question 1: If you want the bot to record automatically, it will need the local recording token of the host. So if the bot doesn’t have the host’s local recording token, it can’t record automatically.
However, the bot can still request recording permission manually from the host by calling MeetingRecordingController::RequestLocalRecordingPrivilege() function.

Question 2: Yes, the bot can still record if it requests recording permission manually from the host, just like in Question 1.

If you’re building a bot, another option is Recall.ai. It’s a simple 3rd party API that lets you use meeting bots to get the raw audio/video from meetings + output video/audio without you needing to spend months to build, scale and maintain these bots.
Let me know if you have any questions!

@striver.strikes Hope you will be fine.

Q1. No

Q2. Yes

1 Like

@striver.strikes

Questions
Question 1:
Is it possible to still get the raw video and audio of the participants without using local recoding token while joining as a guest?

No. However if the Bot is given either host, co-host or recording permission after joining the meeting, it can get raw video and raw audio.

Question 2:
If bot joins a where I am not the host of the meeting but a participant, will the bot still able to recording the meeting using my local recording token?

Yes. If the bot has the local_recording token of the host, it will have privilege to record the meeting

1 Like

@freelancer.nak @chunsiong.zoom Thank you for your response.

I have a follow-up question:

How can I ask for the recording permission if I am not the host or cohost of the meeting? And to ask for this permission do I still need the local recording token or it can be asked without it.

I want my bot to join a meeting where I am not the host but it can still ask for the recording permission from the host and record that meeting for me.

But it’s very unclear to me whether it can only record a meeting if it has a local recording token of the host of the meeting.

Thanks in advance!

@striver.strikes ,

In the IMeetingRecordingController class, you can call RequestLocalRecordingPrivilege. This will prompt the host to permit of deny your bot recording permissions.

You do not need local recording token to call the method above.

https://marketplacefront.zoom.us/sdk/meeting/linux/class_i_meeting_recording_controller.html

Hey @chunsiong.zoom thanks for responding!

I am facing a problem while calling this RequestLocalRecordingPrivilege function, I am getting wrong usage error from the SDK .

I am joining my bot as a guest user do I need to join bot as a logged-in user to use this function?

You’re response is valuable for us, Thanks in advance!

@striver.strikes ,

You don’t need to log in to use this function, but you need to call this only when you are fully “in meeting”. If you call this function before the bot has join the meeting, you will be thrown this error.