Zoom webhooks severely delayed for user-managed oauth app

Hi @tommy,

Yes, we are sending a 200 response back whenever we receive a webhook.

We were previously throwing 400s for webhooks received for events that did not pertain to our app, but having seen this question asked to other users having webhook issues, we have changed our response status code to always be 200.

Thank you,
Nicholai

Hey @neecholai,

That could be causing the issues - if Zoom does not get a 200 response back, we assume the webhook failed, so we try a few minutes later, and if it still fails we no longer send the webhook to that endpoint url.

Are you still having webhhok issues? If so you can try turning off and turning back on your webhooks for your app.

Thanks,
Tommy

Hey @tommy

The delays seem to have been reduced significantly, which is good news. Perhaps returning the 200 responses helped.

However, still having issues for various users not having their webhooks fired at all. Did you find an issue with the userID from that other post? => https://devforum.zoom.us/t/not-receiving-webhooks/9918/24

Under the Feature tab, I toggled Event Subscriptions to off. FYI I lost the webhooks I had written, but re-wrote them in. After toggling this off then back on, the webhooks are still working for this userID, for example, 8QbbEetXQM2je32sBGkkOA but not this one, PrNIb-ZMS7mz4hV9MFxN5A.

Do I need to resubmit another update request or is it something else?

Thanks,
Nicholai

1 Like

Hey @tommy,

Upon further investigation, that userId where the webhooks aren’t working is not being added as a a subscription in the list of subscribers under the “View Subscriptions”.

The user whose webhooks are not working (PrNIb-ZMS7mz4hV9MFxN5A) re-oauthed, and they still did not appear on this list of subscriptions. They are able to create events through our app (i.e. their tokens are pinging the zoom API correctly to create a meeting), but webhooks are not firing for this user.

Why are they are not being added as a subscriber? Please advise as soon as possible as our initial product launch has been delayed to the end of this week, and this is crucial to the functionality of our app.

@tommy
UPDATE - 7/29
User oauthed and tokens were provided to user but they were not subscribed to our webhooks. They had to manually go to our app page https://marketplace.zoom.us/apps/DtwmjxfxTBKpolPrrkM4Yw to click the button to login and install app. Only then did the webhooks work. Do you know why this is the case and why the oauth process did not subscribe them to the webhooks?

Thank you,
Nicholai

Hey @neecholai,

I am guessing the user had to reauthorize your application because they installed it before you setup the webhooks. In order for the changes you make on your application to take affect (like changing scopes or webhooks) the users will need to “Update” your app and approve the new scopes you are requesting.

Thanks,
Tommy

Hey @tommy,

I think that makes sense. It’s strange though because now the webhooks for that user are not working again, with no changes made to our webhooks.

Could you look into that userId as discussed on the other thread about webhooks not working? https://devforum.zoom.us/t/not-receiving-webhooks/9918/26

If a user has to reauthorize, we aren’t receiving errors when they’re making regular API requests, it’s just the webhooks are not firing. If/when we have future updates, how do we determine if a user has to reauthorize so we can prompt them to do so?

Thank you,
Nicholai

Hey @neecholai,

Yes, I will look into why that user is not receiving the webhooks.

-Tommy

Hi, @tommy it seems i didn’t receive participant_left and participant_joined. The app will return 204 response code. Could you please investigate meeting with id, and uuid ?

Thanks.

Hi @carrpirates,

Happy to look into this for you—can you confirm whether or not you’re seeing this event in your logs? You can view your logs by logging into the Marketplace and going here:

Thanks,
Will

Hi @will.zoom , thanks for responding.

I got no data in webhook logs.

Thanks

Hey @carrpirates,

I have just private messaged you.

Thanks,
Tommy