Admins are unable to install BetterCloud App without Zoom Phone license

Description
Admins are unable to install BetterCloud App from Zoom marketplace when the organization doesn’t have any Zoom Phone Licenses.

This seems like an edge case. Our App scopes list out phone:read:admin, phone:write:admin. In order to install, all admins should have ‘Phone Management’ permissions. This works for customers who have Zoom Phone licenses. However, for customers without Zoom Phone license, this permission field is missing in Roles and hence can’t be selected. Those admins receive the ‘Phone Management’ error below. Only Owners can install the app

We would have assumed that for customers without Zoom Phone license this role permission requirement would have been skipped in the logic for admins trying to install. Is this a limitation or feature enhancement? If so, can you suggest any workarounds since using Owner account only seems problematic as most customers use Service accounts for installations and the owner might be a user.

Error
Please see the error below

Which App?
https://marketplace.zoom.us/apps/9pNe2APwRbq6XELKI_8xZA

How To Reproduce (If applicable)
Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Install App
  2. See error Above

Hi @fbegh3,

Thanks for reaching out about this—this may be by design, but I’ve reached out to our Engineering team for confirmation (ZOOM-327176).

I will follow up with you here shortly,
Will

Hi Will,

We have a quite a few customers now (Without Zoom Phone licenses) whose admins are unable to install zoom integration due to this limitation.

Is there a working solution other than using owner account to install zoom for those customers who don’t have Zoom Phone Plan/Licenses? Please let us know when you hear back from Engineering.

Hi @fbegh3,

I’ve confirmed with our Engineering team that this is currently by design.

Only if an account has Zoom Phone licenses, will admins see the Phone Management role, Because an account owner has all privileges by default, they can install the app even if the account doesn’t have Zoom Phone licenses. But to confirm, for other roles (admin/member), this is not the case.

It’s currently expected behavior that Zoom will check if an admin has a role that has the Phone Management privileges before they’re able to install an app with this scope.

Our suggestion would be to include language in your app’s documentation/prerequisites that they should have Zoom Phone licenses (and this the ability to set this role/permission), prior to installation.

Thanks,
Will

Thanks Will! Can you please add this as a feature enhancement along the pipeline to add the logic to bypass phone license scope requirement check for admins if Phone licenses are missing or add the Phone permission Role option for all Roles to toggle instead of it being dependent on the license type?

Hey @fbegh3,

Thanks for the reply, and appreciate the feedback. I will pass this along to our Product team. In the meantime, I would also encourage you to submit a feature request as well here: #feature-requests

Thanks!
Will

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.