Auto create registrants to webinar

We have mandatory registration on our webpage, And we want to offer webinars. I have made a simple “register for the webinar” button - supposed to be a 1 click solution and then use the API to automatically register the user with first_name, last_name and email.

That went very well when I used my zoom account as test person. Now I have created a test user on our site, and I get the following error:

“code”:1001,“message”:“User does not exist: testperson@example.com.”

And I am sure that is correct, but is there a way to allow for “pass through” registration, so that our users don’t have to type everything twice? I am perfectly OK with zoom sending the user a confirmation mail. But I need to keep track, in my system, of users who registered for the webinar.

I am using ‘https://api.zoom.us/v2/webinars/’.$webinar_id.’/registrants

And calling via cURL but as I write, it works with “known” zoom accounts.

We want the webinars to require registration, as we don’t want “anyone” to go there. But we would like to be able to auto register the registrants, via API from our website.

Thank you in advance,

Regards
John Larsen

@jkl Hi John, to specify, are you receiving this error when you are attempting to create a Zoom user or from the registration API?

A Zoom account is not required to be added as a registrant for a Webinar. Can you share some full requests & responses?

Do you have any authentication profiles / requirements associated with your account?

Hi @michael.zoom,

I am using the registration API, and in our case we have set the webinar to only allow registered users access. The reason security and that we want to limit zoom bombers as much as possible. As we ALSO want all attendees to be student of ours, we need to know that they are. So, what we want is to let student of ours click a button on our page, then they will “automatically” get registered as attendees in the webinar.

We do have a PRO account, not mine, that we use together with the “button” solution.

I use cURL, I use this endpoint:

POST /webinars/{webinarId}/registrants

I can get a list of registrants (made through your login screen) what I want is. If I send, to that endpoint, with correct API credentials a POST formed like this:

?email=test@example.com&first_name=Test&last_name=Testesen

Then I get a registered Attendee in the webinar, that is all I am asking :wink:

Now, when I try, I get only

this JSON response { “code”:1001,“message”:“User does not exist: [testperson@example.com]” }

That is not helpfull, and it surely does not create a webinar registrant.

If I use this GET request

https://api.zoom.us/v2/webinars/{webinar_id}/registrants?page_size=50

With the same API credentials then I get a list of all registrants. With id, email, first_name, last_name, status, create_time and join_url. So I know that the credentials are correct.

Regards
John Larsen

Hey @jkl,

We are aware of this issue. Please send these details, and the webinarID and the users email you are trying to register to developersupport@zoom.us.

(ZOOM-160454)

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi, @tommy,

Thank you for your reply. I am not interested in you adding any users to a webinar. We plan on making a lot of webinars and meetings. That is why we pay a lot of money to zoom. To be able to do that.

I would like to be able to add people, to any of our up coming webinars by them just pressing a button on our website. Very much like they can sign up for a mailing list, just by pressing a button.

Are there any way I can speak to a live person? As it looks like you don’t really understand what I am asking.

I have send the information you are asking me for, for a test webinar to your developersupport@zoom.us mail.

Regards
John Larsen

Hey @jkl,

I believe I figured out the issue. If you try to register users while also having the enforce authentication when joining webinar / meeting setting turned on, it will throw the user does not exist error.

Please double check you have this setting disabled:

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi @tommy

Yes, that solved the problem. But then arises the problem that “anyone” can register. And we only want registered students to have access.

I have solved that by checking a local database with the list of “known” registrants, and change status to deny for all who are not students.

So, thank you for your help.
Stay safe.
/John

1 Like

Hey @jkl,

Glad that solved the problem!

Your solution is good, you can also set the approval setting to manually approve, and then check the list to approve students. Essentially whitelisting them instead of blacklisting them.

Thanks,
Tommy