Best way for employees to host meetings

I’m developing an app for a client which requires their employees to host meetings for their clients . Should this be an account level or a user level app? In addition, does each individual employee need a license if they are to host meetings themselves? They may require some features in a business-level account. Will their employees require this license per user ?

Hi @novosel991,

Good questions—happy to clarify.

First, whether you create an Account Level or User Level OAuth App will depend on whether you want individual users to be able to install the app (user level), or if you want to require that an account admin/owner installs the app on behalf of their users. More on this here.

Regarding:

does each individual employee need a license if they are to host meetings themselves?

If the individual under whom you’re scheduling the meeting will need to host a group meeting over 40 minutes, then yes. Without a license, their meetings would face this limitation.

They may require some features in a business-level account. Will their employees require this license per user ?

Yes, if the host of the meeting (the individual under which the meeting is scheduled) does not have a business license, then the features/functionality of the meeting will be limited to whatever license they have. You can find an overview of the capabilities associated with each license type here.

Let me know if this helps to clarify. :slight_smile:

Thanks!
Will

hi Will, thank you for your response - this clears things up a bit. Regarding this use case, do you believe that a user level app would be better fit? I’m not sure I see what limitations there are with a an Account level app.
For example, with account level apps, what happens if a user wants to use an existing zoom account with this account level app? Will that be a problem?

Additionally, since the individual user will need to have their respective licenses, is there an API that allows for our app to request what license this user has? For example, some users may not have the 40 minute limit, how can I determine this within my application? Same thing for large meetings addon ?

Lastly, if my app license is of a lower tier than one of the users of this app, are there limitations on what said user can do?

Hi @novosel991,

The primary difference here is the installation method of the app (an admin installing the app on behalf of users) and the scopes available to it (account level apps have access to admin and reporting scopes, for instance).

If the idea is for your client to manage access the integration on behalf of their users, I’d recommend the account level app. Otherwise, user level would work too.

Regarding:

Additionally, since the individual user will need to have their respective licenses, is there an API that allows for our app to request what license this user has? For example, some users may not have the 40 minute limit, how can I determine this within my application? Same thing for large meetings addon ?

It’s not currently possible to determine this prior to a user installing your app. If your integration/app requires users to have a certain license, we recommend making this clear in the integration’s description.

Regarding licenses, note that these are associated to users, not the apps themselves. So, while your app may schedule meetings on behalf of users, the restrictions/limitations of those meetings could vary based on the user’s license.

Let me know if this helps!

Best,
Will

Thank you for your response. Regarding retrieving the information for what features each user has available to them, which API route provides this? I believe that I will go with a User level app, and the /v2/users/me/settings route does not return the tier of the license, rather the features they have available. How would we, for example, determine if the user has at least a pro license which would allow longer than 40 minute meetings since both the free tier and pro tier both have a max capacity of 100 users? Is there a route that can provide this information for us or would it make more sense to have an account level application in this use case?

Hi @novosel991,

You can determine this information via our GET User and GET User Settings endpoints:

The first endpoint will return a type field to determine if the user has a license.

The second endpoint will return a feature field to determine what features their license(s) include.

If the user has a type: 2, this means that they have at least a Pro license, and will be able to hold meetings over 40 minutes. You can get their meeting capacity from the feature object in GET User Settings.

Let me know if this helps to clarify!
Will

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.