Do I need a license ? If required what type of license do I require?

Hi ,
Here is our requirement and I wanted to check with you if we require any license or any kind of permission from zoom to meet our needs.

1. We require to schedule meetings with end users (need not have zoom accounts).
  2. There can be more than one person who can schedule meetings.
  3. We don’t want each user to login in to zoom (If possible we want to use one account with which we can fire API to create meeting for the users mentioned in 2nd step).
  4. We are just providing the integration component and we will not be using to actually do the business. So we require this functionality only for dev, testing and demos.

Do we require any license or paid plan for this? Currently, we have created an account and registered an app and for other users we are having to register another app. What do you suggest?

Hi @pegasocial,

Zoom’s pricing depends entirely on your requirements. For example, the free tier only allows meetings of up to 45 minutes.

Also, you can only run one meeting at a time. If you need to have multiple meetings happening concurrently, then you need multiple licenses and users.

Everything you mentioned is achieveable with the Zoom API.

Thanks,
Alex

Thanks for reply. The requirements I mentioned are they achievable without paid license? We are a platform and we want to to just provide an integration component for Zoom and dont actually use it. But what we need is to be able to test the integration component. For that we might need to create meetings through APIs for different people , possibly with one account.

Is it possible to have a 30 min call so that we can explain our scenario to get more inputs from you in terms of licensing?

Currently we have done the following steps:

1. Created an app and registered. This is a non-published app.
  2. With this account details we are trying to fire Create Meeting request and this is possible.
  3. But when we want to test with other users, for the same app we are not able to do it . This is where we are stuck.

Hey @pegasocial,

While you do not need a license to develop with our APIs, you do need a license to schedule meetings on someone else’s behalf via API.

Additionally, if you wish to create an integration where you’re creating meetings for users outside of your Zoom account, you will need to leverage our OAuth authentication type. This would require you to create a published OAuth app on our Marketplace, in order for external users to have your app create meetings for them.

I hope this helps to clarify, but let me know if you have further questions!

Best,
Will

Thanks Will, It helps.

Also, could you please help with below queries w.r.t publishing an app in Zoom market place -

1. For publishing an OAuth authentication app, do we need a licensed account?

2. Can we publish an account-level app with JWT authentication? If we can publish such type of apps, is there any functional difference between a published and an unpublished account-level JWT authentication app apart from listing the published app in Zoom market place?

3. We(CRMOrg) develop an enterprise level CRM application which will be purchased by different organizations, say OrgA and OrgB are using CRM application built by us then OrgA and OrgB will have their own Zoom accounts with their own API key and secrete key combinations. Then should OrgA and OrgB have to publish their Zoom apps or Zoom app published by us(CRMOrg) will suffice. Also how an account-level vs user-level applicaiton will fit this scenario for JWT vs OAuth authentication type?

Hey @pegasocial,

Happy to help clarify!

For publishing an OAuth authentication app, do we need a licensed account?

This is not required, but recommended.

Can we publish an account-level app with JWT authentication? If we can publish such type of apps, is there any functional difference between a published and an unpublished account-level JWT authentication app apart from listing the published app in Zoom market place?

JWT apps cannot be published publicly, as they’re account level apps intended for use cases such as building out functionality within our SDKs, internal tooling, reporting, etc. JWT apps do not contain scopes and have unrestricted access to a specific account. To publish an app on our Marketplace, you must use OAuth.

We(CRMOrg) develop an enterprise level CRM application which will be purchased by different organizations, say OrgA and OrgB are using CRM application built by us then OrgA and OrgB will have their own Zoom accounts with their own API key and secrete key combinations. Then should OrgA and OrgB have to publish their Zoom apps or Zoom app published by us(CRMOrg) will suffice. Also how an account-level vs user-level applicaiton will fit this scenario for JWT vs OAuth authentication type?

If you publish an Account-Level app on our Marketplace, OrgA and OrgB will be able to use your app, via authentication by way of OAuth. If you created an account-level OAuth app that was published, they’d grant you account level access to their respective accounts when authorizing your app. You would then be able to take action on their accounts’ behalves, in respect to the capabilities of your published app. They would not need to use their own API key/credentials if they authorize your published app.

If you created a User-Level OAuth app, you would have access to perform actions on users’ accounts (who authorize your app)—a narrower scope.

Let me know if this helps!

Best,
Will

1 Like

Thank you for the clarification.

Please help understand below queries,

For our Account-Level app published on Zoom marketplace, can individual users also grant user level access by authorizing our app with their user credentials?

Also, can you please help understand the difference if we want to publish our app like below apps available in Zoom marketplace?

1. Like Gmail app available on Zoom marketplace: I installed it for my Gmail account at www.gmail.com. And I understood, it’s a User-Level app with OAuth authentication type. So, after installing Zoom app at www.gmail.com I had to authorize them with my Zoom credentials using which they generate authorization code then they exchange it, along with their client ID and secret key, for an access token.
  • Here we are clear on what we need to do to publish our OAuth app like Gmail then how it works for users/accounts authorizing our app with their Zoom credentials through authorization URL.
  1. Like Salesforce app available on Zoom marketplace: I installed it on our Salesforce trial account. I see it’s an account level app. But there I had to register a JWT app with my Zoom account then get API key and secrete key and configure those in my Salesforce instance. So here we did not authorize them using our Zoom account credentials through Zoom authorization URL as we did in Gmail.
  • Here what we need to do to publish our app in Zoom marketplace, where we want our customer organizations(suppose OrgA and OrgB as mentioned in my previous post) to use their own API key and Secrete key generated through their Zoom JWT app, similar to Salesforce?

Hey @pegasocial,

Happy to clarify :slight_smile:

For our Account-Level app published on Zoom marketplace, can individual users also grant user level access by authorizing our app with their user credentials?

No, you would need to create a User-Level OAuth for users to grant user level access.

Also, can you please help understand the difference if we want to publish our app like below apps available in Zoom marketplace?

These apps have different scopes, and thus different user experiences. The Gmail app is a user-level app, as you noted. The Salesforce app, however, is a custom app integration built by Zoom. While this is an account-level app, there are intricacies to this integration that would not apply to a typical Account-Level OAuth app published on the Zoom Marketplace.

If you publish an Account Level OAuth app on our marketplace, this is separate from any other account’s JWT credentials. JWT apps are per account, and every account only has one. The Salesforce App’s use of JWT credentials is a custom setup, and involving an account’s JWT credentials is not supported for standard account-level oauth use cases. If you’re interested in building a custom integration, you might consider reaching out to our Partnerships team.

I hope this helps to clarify,
Will

1 Like

Thanks @will.zoom,

That’s very informative and got the details we were looking for.

On these lines, if an org want to integrate with Zoom so that the app will be used by that account and users within the account then for below requirements (For this scenario, we understand that the Zoom app don’t needs to be published since it’s used within the account/ users in account)

1. If each has to authorize the app to manage the user
  • Then it has to be a user-level app with OAuth authentication type. Or do you suggest any othe approach too?
  1. If all the users don’t have to authorize the app but and an admin user should be able to configure/authorize the app on behalf of all the users.
  • Then should an account-level app with OAuth authentication or a JWT app be used for this scenario? Could you please elaborate on each of the approaches (with an unpublished app) with some use case examples / recommendations?

Hey @pegasocial,

Happy to clarify.

1. If each has to authorize the app to manage the user. Then it has to be a user-level app with OAuth authentication type. Or do you suggest any othe approach too?

That’s right—if you want individual users to be able to install your app and manage this on their own accounts, this would be best suited for a User-Level OAuth App.

If all the users don’t have to authorize the app but and an admin user should be able to configure/authorize the app on behalf of all the users.

This is also correct—If you want an Admin or Account Owner to be able to install/manage an app for all users on the account, then you would want to utilize an Account-Level OAuth App.

The main difference here is in regards to the scope of permissions. If you want to be able to have individual users authorize your app on a case by case basis, then user-managed would suffice. However, if you wanted an account admin or owner to be able to authorize all users on an account to use your app, an account level app would be best.

Let me know if this helps!
-Will

1 Like

Thanks @will.zoom,

In this case, should the account-level app be OAuth authentication type or JWT app? What are the things to consider for choosing authentication type in this scenario?

Hi @pegasocial,

Happy to clarify!

Your app will need to use OAuth Authentication if you’ll need Account-Level scopes on an OAuth App. JWT authentication is only for a single account, and doesn’t allow other accounts to authorize your app.

Let me know if this helps to clarify,
Will

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.