BUG: Missing user.settings_updated webhook when a user's settings are changed via the account

If a user has not modified their settings, then they default to the account settings. If settings on the account are updated, this causes the user’s settings to be updated. However, the user.settings_updated webhook is never sent. Per the documentation, this is incorrect behavior:

The User Settings Updated event is triggered every time the settings of one of your app users or account users are updated.

Because Use Manager OAuth apps cannot access account settings or webhooks, it is impossible to keep in sync with the user’s current settings via webhooks due to this bug.

Hey @ryan,

Can you send us the App Name, and Account ID’s settings you are updating so I can look at the logs?

Thanks,
Tommy

(Account Info hidden)

Hey @ryan,

Thanks for providing your account info, I am checking to see if this is a bug, or intended (ZOOM-143200).

However I do think this is the intended functionality, because for a user level app, even if the settings are changed at the account level which can affect user level settings, you will not receive the notification, unless you are the one who made the settings change, or if the OAuth app is Account Level.

Thanks,
Tommy

I understand what you’re saying but I’d question the purpose of user.settings_updated then. If it doesn’t notify the app whenever a user’s settings changed (by whatever mechanism), what’s the point?

Hey @ryan,

This is intended functionality. The user.settings_updated webhook will only fire if that user updated the setting. Not if an account admin updated an account wide setting.

Thanks,
Tommy