Camera issues with M1 Big Sur

Description
Many reports of cameras not capturing video for users of Apple’s new M1 based devices running Big Sur. On December 8, Zoom issued a new application release to fix these issues in the main Zoom application but these have not been shared to the developer community via a new Mac OS SDK update. See attached screenshot of one user seeing solid pink instead of video capture from the Settings/Preferences screen Video section.

Which version?
Mac OS SDK v5.2.42037.1112

To Reproduce(If applicable)
Steps to reproduce the behavior:

1. Use a new Mac M1 laptop running Big Sur
  2. Open the Sample App, go into Preferences, then Video
  3. See black or pink solid screen instead of video capture.

Screenshots

Smartphone (please complete the following information):

• Device: Macbook Air (M1 chipset)
  • Version 10.16

Hi @daves, thanks for the post.

Unfortunately, we have not yet released a version of the macOS SDK that supports the M1 chip. We are aware that this is a very important issue and are actively working on adding support for this ASAP.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks, @jon.zoom . Appreciate your quick response and the attention on this issue. Do you have a rough ETA so we can set expectations with our users?

Hi @daves,

I can’t say for certain when it will be ready for production yet since it is still in active development at the moment. Based on what I know, it seems unlikely that it will be released this month due to the holidays. Beyond that, your best bet is going to be to keep an eye on our release notes.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @jon.zoom - any updates on this? Thanks!

Hey @daves,

Jon is currently out, so I will be taking over this thread until he returns.

The latest release did not address the M1 issues directly. We hope to have this resolved soon.

Thanks!
Michael

Thanks for the update, @Michael_Condon. This is a critical bug that is affecting our users in production. We’ve noticed many people have been upgrading/buying the new M1 Macbooks and have been experiencing this issue, which makes our app unusable.

Can you provide a clearer ETA please?

Thanks,
Dave

Hey @daves,

We cant guarantee an ETA at this time. However, we are aware that this is a crucial issue. The Zoom Client Mac Application has added support for M1 chips already, which means that the support for the Mac SDK is coming very soon.

Thanks!
Michael

2 Likes

Thanks for the update @Michael_Condon - I’m in the technical team at NatWest Bank, we have a thread going on our Workplace, we have many new Mac M1 users (including me) keenly interested in when they’ll be a resolution as their Zoom is unusable. Happy to volunteer for UAT.

Hey @barnettderek,

Thanks for using the dev forum!

Are you using the Zoom Mac application or the Zoom MacOS SDK?

Thanks!
Michael

Hey @Michael_Condon I’m using the Zoom app on my NatWest Remote Desktop logged in via Citrix on the Mac Mini…have logged out for the evening but can provide further info if you need tomorrow morning - just let me know…

All best
Derek

Hey @barnettderek,

I am sorry you are facing video issues, that must be very frustrating. However, this forum is for Zoom MacOS SDK developer questions only. Please visit Zoom Help Center for assistance.

Thanks!
Michael

Using a MacBook Pro 2020 with Big Sur & both a Canon 60D and 5D Mark II. Cannot get either to connect using the Canon utility. When I don’t use the utility on my older Mac, it doesn’t work without having focus boxes and lines top and bottom.
Please help.

Hi @Asithaps, thanks for using Zoom.

It sounds like you are running into issues with the Zoom client. As mentioned already in this thread, this forum is meant only to assist developers who are integrating our SDK into their own applications. For assistance with the Zoom client, please visit our general support page.

Thanks!

Not a great workaround - but if you copy the deployed application from an Intel Mac, and run it on the M1 - you can use the camera. Yes, it’s using Rosetta2 this way - but it works. The M1 is fast enough that you don’t notice the difference. I’m using Iriun and this is the only way I could get it to work.

Hi @mulder.guido, thanks for using the dev forum.

Thank you for the suggestion! While we cannot in any way guarantee that the SDK will work properly through this workaround, this is in fact how the Zoom client was able to run on M1 chips up until support was added in an update in December. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks!

Hi @jon.zoom, it appears that this still has not been addressed in the most recent macOS SDK update (https://marketplace.zoom.us/docs/sdk/native-sdks/macos/release-notes)

This issue is impacting more users each day and has become a significant issue for us. Do you have any updates on an ETA for the fix?

Thank you for your continued support!

Hi @daves,

You are correct that the most recent release of the macOS SDK still does not have M1 support. We are working on stabilizing the version with M1 support added, but do not have an exact timeline on when this will be released. Please accept our deepest apologies on the delay while we work towards adding M1 support in a future release.

Thanks!

Hey @mulder.guido can you explain what you mean? Would love to try your approach. Thanks!

In my case, I installed the latest Intel version of the zoom app on an Intel Mac. Then I copied that app to a network storage, and from there, to the M1 machine that I was having issues with. The app runs without any problems, and the Iriun webcam app also works very well.